SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Much Traffic Do Forum Signatures Really Generate?

I have always wondered how much traffic is generated via forum signatures to those members who have several thousand posts in a quality community like SitePoint. I notice clicks here and there but I typically use forums on an as need basis therefore don't accumulate many posts.

Could any active members share a ball park or shed some light on the subject?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's too small to measure. I do get a hundred or so visitors following links to my sites each week from this forum but I expect most of those are following links that are specific answers to thread questions (usually posted by someone else already familiar with my sites) rather than the links in my sig.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really would be difficult to do that as they do not get that much traffic but still you need to do that. It depends on the forum and the kind of members it has.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have account in other webmaster forum
    How much it's generate is depend on how much reputation you have.
    Usually high reputation member will get better, their signature will be high exposure.
    Besides that, you have to provide good quality posts, so people will look on the signatures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forum signature are helpful to get traffic to your site especially if you able to find relevant for your niche. Since i am enjoying different conversations in the forum, i consider it as a guide since i learned new things to other forum porters and it is a way of discovering new post and new knowledge topics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses, sounds like staying loyal never hurts. Staying active, interacting with other people in your business or niche is more valuable than traffic in my opinion but a few clicks here and there can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    It's too small to measure. I do get a hundred or so visitors following links to my sites each week from this forum but I expect most of those are following links that are specific answers to thread questions (usually posted by someone else already familiar with my sites) rather than the links in my sig.
    felgall that is a very good point.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have accounts in other forums as well. I have 2 accounts that has more than 1,000 posts. There's really no exact figure for me to find out the traffic that it brings me, but i can say that it really helps me too. Just try to make at least 10 posts a day to 5-10 forums in your niche, let's say for 1 month, and make sure to provide useful and helpful posts, then you will see the improvement when it comes to your traffic.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it doesn't matter as long as you do forum posting, because forum posting is listed on marketing avenues to build links

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just started Forum Signature Marketing, I'd have to say, at least some.

I am a newbee and have just finished my first site and started forum marketing.

I got my first person in my AWeber list apparently through forum marketing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think forum signature are good for link building ,, not good for traffic generating,

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by travelermania View Post
    i think forum signature are good for link building ,, not good for traffic generating,
    I disagree. Their absolutely zero value for link building is definitely less than the almost zero value they have for direct traffic generating.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, In my opinion signature links in forums are one of the most effective ways to build website link popularity and back link count. When used properly, signature links are cost effective and quite useful way to improve website traffic, back links and overall link popularity.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    I disagree. Their absolutely zero value for link building is definitely less than the almost zero value they have for direct traffic generating.
    He's right. There's no value in forum posting when it comes to link building. Forum posting can be good if you are building your subscribers list. Once you become credible on a particular forum, people will start to recognize and trust you. Put a link of your squeeze page where you offer a valuable free report, and you start building your list already.

I have 2 more accounts from other forums that has more than 1,000 posts, and building my subscribers list using forums really works for me.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much traffic you get depends on how deep your posts are in each thread, how many posts you have, what niche the forum is, how much traffic the forum has, etc.

I would think you hardly get any traffic. I use forums only to contribute and to learn new stuff and to keep upto date with my sites niche/topic.

SitePoint Enthusiast nicolebeckett's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotten alot of traffic and alot of clients from the signatures on my forums posts. The key is to become an active member of the community and sharing legitimate information. You can always tell who's in there just to create some backlinks and be on their way. No one respects those posters, and they're certainly not going to click on their link.

Networking aside, there is alot of great information in forums that can really help you.

SitePoint Enthusiast mrwordsworth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can get a huge traffic from forum posting. people can click on your signature and more over google concider signature as a backlink coming to your websites and put on high result when your website is searched by your keyword.....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you only get 20 or 30 UV's a day. It is the most targeted traffic you can get.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to this forum so really don't know how much this forums generate but i never get a lot of traffic from them. Their signature is count able and gives good back link.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point in time I was all keyed up about Forum Marketing. I had gotten 3 sign ups to my list the first day. These were my first sign up. Since then I have not received any.

This is not to say that I am going to give up on Forum Marketing. I am going to move on to Article Marketing and see how that goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a signature so I can't provide you with any numbers but I would say that the more active you are and the better quality your posts the more people are going to click on your links.

Also with regard to forum signatures as link building, well sure there links and will help but they won't help much.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got my 4th sign-up. I would say it had to be the the result of a forum listing. I don't have a signature here either, but a few of the other forums that I've been posting at do.

Being somewhat of a newbee, I'm happy. I wish they would let you pick a custom avitar here.

Charlie

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by other003 View Post
    I wish they would let you pick a custom avitar here.

Charlie
    If When you read the FAQ entry Avatars you can will learn about custom avatars here at SitePoint.

BTW. Signatures here at SitePoint currently have no value as backlinks in terms of PR. But if you make good replies, and have a link that captures someones interest enough, you just might get some traffic from it. Then if the content is deemed valuable, someone might just give you a link on their own site.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by other003 View Post
    Oh Well!!!
    BTW. please be careful of making replies like that whether as an attempt to raise your post count or otherwise.

Fluff
    "Fluff" posting - what is it and how do we deal with it?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by travelermania View Post
    forums are meant to share and learn new things and it isnt build for LB or traffic, those two are just additional things you can possibly get by joining a forum..

SitePoint Enthusiast Atle Iversen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess I learned something new today :-)

Maybe it's just me, but curiosity + ctrl+click in Firefox to open links in new tab means that I actually find some signatures interesting..

Time to learn some more about them and see how I create one :-)