SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey friends hello...i have been working in this freelance industry from 3 years and believe me i have enjoyed alot.
    you can here learn different and innovative ideas and techniques.....finding right freelance developers is not a difficult task. all you have to do is to search for the potential people in order to generate best outputs....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did suggest people like that, they have so much work available to them they can cherry pick what they do. Also they did never really need to advertise themselves anywhere which makes find them even harder...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I turn down the majority of work offered, usually one of two reasons --

1. Initial instinct says the client does not know very much about their niche, and they'll need to be carried a long ways.
    2. The pay is too little for too much work.

I guess my problem is my clients are mostly from Craigslist, and well.. Many of them expect a lot for nothing, but there are sometimes an exception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can find many new and old developers on www.vworker.com its very good place for getting work for developers.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barefut View Post
    I'm on the opposite side of this problem. I consider myself to be a reliable and competent web developer. I don't bother signing up a sites like geta freelancer, elance, guru, etc because there are thousands of coders there, and trying to stick out and have someone take a chance on you is like begging for money downtown (your city). I have been a corporate web developer for various companies for about 15 years. The company I currently contract for is happy with me working remotely, I live in New Zealand (use to live in the US). They don't usually allow this kind of arrangement, but due to my skills and performance, they have made an exception.

I will freely admit though that I am not a true object oriented type of programmer, never needed to in my workings. I program in ASP, Cold Fusion, but mostly PHP these days. I do everything from setting up a server, creating a design, cutting it up, designing the flow and usability, programming, database, security, maintenance, testing, SEO, and e commerce. I code very fast and have always met all deadlines and never flake out. I consider myself driven and reliable. Other clients and people I have worked with have said the same. I don't usually toot my own horn, but this thread opens that up. I can provide references if you'd like.

Hmm... you might be an exception to the rule, then.

If that's the case, do you know how to configure Subversion on a server (that has it already installed) and explain to me how I can have a live environment in /public_html and a dev environment in /public_html/dev on my VPS server, so that I can easily sync the two (push changes from dev to live) all while keeping it AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE?

I've just tried 3 different people and it took them hours to get this done... and when they were "done", it was a complete mess that required an Egyptian dictionary to decode and understand (and I am a developer who worked on SVN before), so I just ended up scraping it and trying it all over again (as in, they didn't get what I told them I needed the first dozen times when I explained it in detail).

If you can do this (or anyone else around here), PM me. Then I might change my mind about competent developers/server admins myself...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to find the best freelance developers is below (I use oDesk to find people to work with):

1. Make sure they use proper spelling and grammar; if they are foreign a good effort is acceptable.
    2. Check their certifications; if they have high-end certifications they have discipline.
    3. Check their portfolio or look for some reviews; you want at least one good review. A good resume will qualify for this as well.
    Have a good day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same - the customers/employers should be able to find better workers. What is interesting to me is the job websites are already polluted with projects like "my website is almost 90% complete. I need a help, ..." or closely similar openings.

This is harmful to all of the three parties - workers, job sites and employer. Workers are forced to take a project from a customer who is already distressed. Job sites are holding records of low quality openings and, it is clear that the customer did not receive a better service.

If a job is 90% completed, finding a new worker is not good to complete the remaining - and this statement seems false. Again, why to keep searching new freelancers, interviewing them, making them understand the project requirements?

Even if the freelancer is good, the nature of the job opening like this will case troubles.

But, what would a customer do when a freelancer wining the project in the first round did not complete? The most nicest thing would be - to find a really good freelancer.
    Bimal Poudel @ Sanjaal Framework over Smarty Template Engine
    ASKING INTERESTING QUESTIONS ON SITEPOINT FOURM

Hire for coding support - PHP/MySQL

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren884 View Post
    2. Check their certifications; if they have high-end certifications they have discipline.
    Or are just good at rote memorization while sitting in a class with their thumb up their backside, instead of being out in the workplace actually learning how to do things.

Sorry, my total distaste for how completely useless higher education is in most every form is showing again.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    Or are just good at rote memorization while sitting in a class with their thumb up their backside, instead of being out in the workplace actually learning how to do things.

Sorry, my total distaste for how completely useless higher education is in most every form is showing again.
    Sadly, it's nearly a requirement these days (especially in the last two years or so, since the job market turned) to have at least a 4 year degree to break into any kind of serious job.

Sadly, we're often forcing young people to take on ridiculous amounts of debt just to lay the foundation for their future, which is a terrible idea.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by SituationSoap View Post
    Sadly, we're often forcing young people to take on ridiculous amounts of debt just to lay the foundation for their future, which is a terrible idea.
    Or as I call all forms of credit and loans -- spending money that doesn't even exist yet. Obama called credit the lifeblood of the economy; I'm with Peter Schiff on that one, it's not the lifeblood, it's the cancer.

Higher education is one of the many factors contributing to the declining economy since like most of these naive pipedream ideas nobody asks the question "and who's going to pay for it?" These poor kids being put decades into debt just to end up with a degree in a field nobody is hiring for -- welcome to flipping burgers while the dropout is your store manager. Oh wait, did I just describe 90% of my graduating class still living at home rent free with mommy and daddy at age 40? To be brutally honest it's sad when my crippy ass is one of the successful ones. But what do you expect when 99% of what school does is teach people to be employees.

Next thing you know they'll come up with this brilliant idea of health care reform being to force people who can't afford health care to pay into a state run program... Instead of socializing health care, let's socialize insurance -- yeah, that'll help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elance.com,vworker.com,these freelance job website have good system protect the profit of buyers and sellers,I am a long term service provider on Elance,if you select feedback rate is higher than 4.5,and the developer is a long term member,I don't think it will be wrong.