Thread: Sort recordset

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sort recordset

Hi

I have a recordset that i would like the enduser using the program can order the results displayed on screen themselves i.e. in excel you can order the data by asc or desc by clicking on the relevant column.

I know in my query that is fetching the data, i can use the order by clause but i would like the user to be able to do it themselves. I have 4 columns of data that would need this applying to.

I am aware i can use a requestQuerystring method but is there another/better way of executing this?

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the data is displayed in tabular form, simply make the column header a link the user can click on.

Code:
    <a href="page.asp?sort=column1">Column 1</a>
    When they click the link you read the querystring and sort (ORDER BY) the recordset on that column. You could also incorporate a mechanism to toggle the sort order (ASC | DESC) if they click that heading again. (e.g. default to sort one way, then sort the opposite way if clicked again).
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hint......
    Although you can't find special characters when used in a submit button, you can find the string position of the word used for the submit's value
    LiveScript: Putting the "Live" Back into JavaScript
    if live output_as_javascript else output_as_html end if