SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never did any tutorials with Fireworks, and I am doing pretty well.

I rarely go through tutorials.

Flash was a major exception. If you plan on working with Flash, it will certainly help you to go through the (long) tutorial. It is even on the trial version.

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anybody reccommend a good web graphics program. Like in making smooth grpahics and interfaces for a webssite. Also professional web text. My programs are fine, but I need some more features.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess the industry standard is adobe illustrator...right?

I personally use fireworks and I am very happy with it and it's abilities. anyone agree?

it's expensive, but if you're a student go to www.journeyed.com and you can get it for about $99. or the dreamweaver3/fireworks3 bundle for ~ $150.

- sam

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use fireworks and I find that it is more than sufficient for my needs. I use it largely to make clean text graphics and navigation related graphics. However, I'm not a graphic artist, so maybe fireworks is lacking in some ways. I'm not sure.

Adam

P.S. Alot of people seem very enthusiastic about Paint Shop Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by adam_shep:
    P.S. Alot of people seem very enthusiastic about Paint Shop Pro<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heck yeah! It has a loyal following...probably because is has icons that make sense, it's easy to learn and use, and it's a helluva lot cheaper than Photoshop...it's perfect for anyone who wants to make graphics that are basically top of the line but doesn't require a million-and-a-half little tools...

And yeah, I believe Paint Shop Pro 6.0 can be nearly as powerful as Photoshop if you get someone who know what he or she is doing...

By the way, it's available for $100 at www.jasc.com - I couldn't recommend it more...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop is the most powerful of all, but this comes at a price. Photoshop is confusing at times, and is a little harder to get around.

Fireworks is almost as powerful as Photoshop, but much easier to play with. I highly recommend Fireworks or PSP as your first editor, both of these are amazing.

I used to use PSP, but have forgot most of it. I remember liking it, but Fireworks took my breath away when I discovered it.

MS Paint can sometimes get away with what I need to do. Also, MS Word can do things much quicker for me (such as setting an image as a watermark/semi-transparent), so I like to use this at times too.

Another program you may want to check out is Microsoft Image Composer. I also used to use this program, but have forgot much of it. It doesn't hurt to download the demo/trial of each program, so I recommend you do that as well.

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried the fireworks trial version but it couldn't understand it. But then I'll just have to read a few tutorials.

But in fireworks I haven't found out how the draw graphics with it yet. The only thing I really saw it's purpose for was to slice images???

I use painter 3d and spg color works, they are quite good.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that Fireworks is very good at drawing graphics. It draws using paths, so it is very easy to edit. Try the pencil, brush or pen tool. And just look through the menus to get an idea of what features are available. It can do alot!

Adam

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used PSP6.0, Photoshop 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, and Fireworks 3. They all have different purposes.

Fireworks doesn't have many very advanced features like Photoshop does (channels, a LOT of filters), but is excellent for Web graphics. I use it every day, for several hours, pouring over each pixel.

Photoshop is incredibly well-suited for really advanced stuff (as well as the basics)and is the industry standard for image editing. There are gobs of tutorials available for it, from www.phong.com, www.designsbymark.com, and www.alpha-project.net .

I haven't ever used Pain Shop Pro long enough to really test it out but I hear it is essentially a watered-down (in price and features) version of Photoshop.

P.S. For a link to the look at Photoshop 6.0, visit http://www.appleinsider.com/ .

UPDATE:
    OK sorry about that. Turns out Adobe is suing them for releasing information about PS6.0. The Slashdot story is at http://slashdot.org/articles/00/06/13/1931213.shtml . I saw it and it looked very, very cool. Well not visually but its new features list is very extensive and will be a welcome program in my Start menu and Apple menu items.

[This message has been edited by d3v (edited June 13, 2000).]

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Photoshop. I never read any tutorials, just picked it up. It is far by the most powerful. Check out these sites :
    www.eyeball-design.com
    www.phong.com

James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use PhotoShop 5.5 which comes bundles with Adobe ImageReady, a great and very powerful web graphic optimizer and also allows for animations, rollovers, slicing etc etc

When used along with PhotoShop it seams to be the best thing I have found and used and is all I could every want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James, I really like the those sites!
    The graphics are quite awsome.

Have you guys tried Xenofex or Eye candy? You can make some great effects with it aswell and you can use it for many painting programs as plugin, aswell as Photoshop.
    You can get a demo of it at www.alienskin.com , you can't use it, you will have to purchase it and it isn't the cheapest software at $100.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James, I really like the those sites!
    The graphics are quite awsome.

I might purchase PSP 6.0, I have just tried the trial version and yes it's real easy. Check out some of my graphics I made with Painter 3d and SPG color works at www.nebulus.org/challenge/ and look for the name Lars Østergaard.

Thank you guys for recommending my some programs!

------------------
    =========================
    www.123hyperlinks.com
    Webmaster resources and
    freebies!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say Illustrator 9.0 is great, but still lacks ONE crucial things. The ability to specify the position of the stroke, eg, centered, outside or inside the object.

It is now version 9 and it still CAN'T do it!

Illustrator combined with photoshop beats any program hands down and not only for web stuff but in print also. But not so easy to get into.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both Illustrator 9 and Photoshop 5, so maybe I can comment...

Adobe Photoshop 5 is a great overall graphics program. I use it 99% of the time for web graphics, and it works great. I agree that it was confusing at first, but if you learn it, it's a very powerful tool. The price is also high, but it's really worth it. If you're a student then you can get it for $299 with Eye Candy 3 included (http://www.journeyed.com). That's an excellent price for what you get.

I sometimes use Illustrator, but not much. I've seen people use it for web graphics (www.designsbymark.com), but I see it mostly used for print design. You can buy it for $99 if you're a student also (http://www.journeyed.com).

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    · WEB: http://www.j.cx
    · EMAIL: justin@j.cx

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my plug for Paint Shop Pro 6.0, its easy to use for everyone (newbies to pros) and it offers more features than I could ever use. Paint Shop Pro is great if you are looking for a straight-forward program that allows you to do what needs to be done.

Photoshop is too bulky IMHO... it has a less-than-pleasing interface, is harder to control, takes up too much system resources, and is too slow for my liking (don't want to wait 3 minutes for the program to load).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
    d3v said:
    Well not visually but its new features list is very extensive and will be a welcome program in my Start menu and Apple menu items.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Apple menu items? What do you possibly have in there? Just wondering.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Apple Menu Items is the menu on Macs in the top left whose icon is an apple. Umm, if you're wondering what is in my AMI menu then it's...About QuickMail Pro, Register QuickMail Pro, AirPort, America Online 4.0 Old, and a bunch of other things I don't feel like typing because for some reason if I click on the menu on my Mac it won't stay down for more than 15 seconds. If you are REALLY wondering I can send you a screen shot...

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    n/m Quinn, I was thinking it was a special folder you had created on your Win2K machine for Apple (ugh) links and what not. I was just curious.

Now we can get back on topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eric did a very good job of describing Paint Shop Pro 6.0...all that I have left to says is that I think Fireworks 3 is a very nice halfway-point between Photoshop 5.5 and PSP 6.0...still takes awhile to load (and has frozen up on me a few times)...but still has a smaller learning curve than PS...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Personal preference is Adobe PhotoShop 5.5 with Adobe LiveMotion.
    These two will allow you to do basicaly anything. Also LiveMotion allows you to make Macromedia Flash files (*.swf) which is realey good. Also buy yourself a book like

Mastering PhotoShop 5.5 for the web

This is a great book

------------------
    Thanks, WebmasterMattD
    http://members.xoom.com/webmattd/index.html