SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And there are always new people coming onto the scene, and they don't see buried old threads.

It's like people complaining that immigrants come into the country and don't learn the language. While that is true for some of the population, people forget there are always those who just arrived yesterday. Everything's new to them.

Resident curmudgeon bronze trophy gary.turner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't disagree with either of you. It's just that this thread has run its course. The only thing missing is a reference to us standardistas as jack-booted storm troopers.

Let the next newbie start it over again in a new thread.

cheers,

gary
    Anyone can build a usable website. It takes a graphic
    designer to make it slow, confusing, and painful to use.

Simple minded html & css demos and tutorials

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gary
    The only thing missing is a reference to us standardistas as jack-booted storm troopers.
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...orm%20troopers
    Well, it's "a" reference to W3C jack-booted storm troopers. : )

Resident curmudgeon bronze trophy gary.turner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...#37;20troopers
    Well, it's "a" reference to W3C jack-booted storm troopers. : )
    Hah! I did not remember that reference. Well, Godwin's Law is again supported by the evidence, and this thread is officially old, as of 50 posts ago.

As to this,
    Same goes for guys who leave the toilet seat up. Arg.
    If relationships are supposed to be a 50-50 thing, why don't women leave the seat up half the time? I'll make a deal with all women: I'll leave the seat down at their houses if they'll leave it up at mine.

cheers,

gary
    Anyone can build a usable website. It takes a graphic
    designer to make it slow, confusing, and painful to use.

Simple minded html & css demos and tutorials

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by gary.turner View Post
    As to this, If relationships are supposed to be a 50-50 thing, why don't women leave the seat up half the time? I'll make a deal with all women: I'll leave the seat down at their houses if they'll leave it up at mine.
    Put the seat and the lid down. Then (a) everyone has to do the same amount of work so there is no disparity, and (b) it keeps smells and germs inside the toilet rather than allowing them to explore the rest of your house.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sit down to pee as well, eliminates all work and disagreements. Less work and if you have ever had to clean around your toilet yourself, it becomes immediately obvious as to secondary benefits.
    Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave it how you use it. If I leave it down, my partner has to put it up, and vice versa.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainis View Post
    hey, i just kinda want to be able to center easily yes horizontally and
    [SNIP]
    and then even that doesn't really work
    That is EXACTLY the type of code I'm usually referring to when I talk about pointless useless bloated outdated nonsense! It's not even valid in a modern doctype much less well thought out.

What do I mean? Spans for nothing, table for nothing, presentational classes saying how it appears not what it is, more elements than neccessary, and a failure to understand even the most basic of code elements like the distinction between inline-level and block level, much less how things like text-align apply to them.

... and that's before we talk about the submit that has no images off graceful degradation and is in fact putting a content image in the markup so that's an accessibility /FAIL/ or the oddball mix of HTML 3.2 and HTML 4. Lemme guess, tranny doctype (if ANY?!?) and it STILL doesn't validate?

Given what you have for actual elements, this:

Code:
    <fieldset>
    	<input type="text" name="fields_email" size="20" />
    	<input type="image" src="images/return-image.png" alt="go" width="22" height="22" />
    </fieldset>
    Is probably overkill for the markup. Mind you I'd be using a XHTML doctype so legend can be omitted -- well, unless you actually HAVE a legend or element that should be.

since you've declared widths on both, and they're both inline-level, that's just text-align:center; on the fieldset -- end of problem.

Though I'd have to see the rest of what you would be working on, but if that snippet is typical of your code, you may want to go out and learn SEMANTICS and VALID MARKUP.

CSS is only as good as the markup it's applied to -- and that markup is overthought, invalid... and kind of scary to see so much wrong in such a small snippet.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gary.turner View Post
    I don't disagree with either of you. It's just that this thread has run its course. The only thing missing is a reference to us standardistas as jack-booted storm troopers.

Let the next newbie start it over again in a new thread.

cheers,

gary

Those might not be the exact words I would use, but I agree with the concept.
    Apologies to any that actually read every post in this thread hoping to leave a reply only to find the --- Thread Closed