SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you never want your computer to crash then get a more mature OS like Linux, BeOS, Windows 2000, Mac OS X, whatever. But you just have to realize that since the Windows 9x kernel and Mac OS kernel (up to v10) don't have memory protection, when one app freezes it brings down the whole system or makes it partially unstable...THEN brings down the whole system.

I personally have not seen ONE crash on this PC since I upgraded to Win2k about 3 months ago. Whenever I'm in Win2k, Linux, or BeOS the computer never, ever freezes. On the other hand I also have an iMac DV SE at 400MHz with 128MB/RAM. It freezes about 3 or 4 times a day if I am ever demoted so much as to use it. But I get to use a G4 with 512MB/RAM every Monday and it only freezes about once a day when I'm doing work in Poser, Bryce, or Photoshop.

So until Mac OS X comes out, I think the quality of the hardware the Mac OS is runing on really affects the crashes.

On Intel architectures (i.e. anything with an Intel-compatible proc like Pentiums, Athlons, Cyrixes, etc.) the quality of the OS matters most.

Those are just my conclusions in this Mac-vs-Windows9x freezing case...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well stated Quinn.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have stated before, G4's rarely crash - but like all machines they do crash.

BeOS and Linux are amazingly stable, I still don't believe it.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Linux really more stable than Windows...even moreso than WinME? I've been considering switching...can I still use all my old programs...will the switch be rough?

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you can't use the same programs on different Operating Systems.

There are emulators, but these are unreliable and sluggish.

Linux is stable and fast, but it is not for you if you want all of your Windows apps on it.

It's free to download, so give it a try.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Linux and Be are thousands of times more stable than Windows. Linux's uptime is measured in months, even years, while most people are astonished when their Windows 9x machine has been up for a day without a crash.

As for emulators. Wine, which is an acronym for Wine is not an emulator (don't ask) does a superb job of running some of the less-complex Windows apps. In fact there are two parts of Wine - one is the actual emulator, and the other is a set of libraries to make porting apps from Windows to Linux easier. Corel used the libs for their WordPerfect app and now it is available under Linux. Personally I haven't used WP for Linux but I do like StarOffice from Sun (www.sun.com/staroffice) whenever I need to print an RTF.

Don't believe the myths--Linux is NOT ready to be on every Joe User's desktop. At least not yet, not for a little while.

I have been using Linux for more than a year and I still wouldn't consider myself an expert Linux user. Sure, I can compile Apache, Zend, PHP, etc., but I can't say, develop a program to grab the latest news from Slashdot, Meerkat, SitePoint, NY Times, get all of my ICQ msgs, or even anything simpler under Linux. As a perl or php app, sure, but not C. Linux users are held to a higher standard than Windows users but therefore most are smarter than Windows users.

I use Linux Mandrake and it can be gotten for free with the latest issue of MaximumLinux mag or downloaded. Personally I prefer downloading and burning a CD but not everyone can download 650MB in minutes then burn a CD. Your best bet would be to just to go Dominicks, Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc., any local store which has magazines and buy it.

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right on, Quinn! Linux is a serious OS... virtually no crashes, and a lot less resource-intensive. Many people even recommend using Linux on old 486s as it uses less resources than Windows and it runs along quite smoothly even on these older machines.

Wine does a great job at running many simpler Windows applications, but Linux is not ready to handle every program designed for Windows (although compatibility is improving and will probably become a factor in Linux's success in the near future).

Also, the ease of use (*newbie factor*) is going to play a great deal into the future of Linux... right now most distributions come with an easy-install interface and basic screen layout that looks similar to Windows, but the actual down-to-basics kind of stuff that Linux is comprised is not ready for the average user. Give it a few months, maybe a year, and Linux should be ready for *most* users.

------------------
    Eric Radtke
    Web Design: DevStorm Internet Solutions
    Web Hosting: InterSurge Internet (coming soon)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the crashing part: I think if you've worked let's say three months intensivly with a PC or a Mac, you will virtually have no crashes anymore. If you try on another computer you barely use it will crash more often..

When my father gets on the pc, EVERYTIME he crashes and the only thing he uses is IE and Word or Excell... I sit sometimes 6 hours on the computer and I haven't got a serious crash in 1 year. Sometimes I get those annoying 'Errors' but they're not that bad. Mostly it is te beta of IE 5.5 who does this...

About Linux: OK, it's a great system, but would you recommend it to someone who never or barely uses a pc? Windows is much more 'easy' to use.

Christophe

------------------
    http://freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yes..the only problem I have is the printdriver... but when it's connected to a printer with own memory it doesn't bring any problems. Well I'm getting one soon...

The printdriver problem is Compaqs fault I think...

Christophe

------------------
    http://freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, until Linux can handle the programs I've got on Windows, It's not for me.

Windows is definetly more user-friendly at this point...however I've been hearing that Linux is going to make a run at becoming compatible and user-friendly...something like that; something to help it *really* catch on...obviously it has the potential for those who don't like Macs, but arn't nuts about Microsoft either.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More people use Linux than Macs. Also I can find an app to do anything that you need on Linux. Tell me something that you have under Windows (as an app or built-in) and I can find something for you that is the same under Linux.

Software isn't really the problem as far as I'm concerned. I think that the main thing keeping people back from Linux is, for example, can anyone change into root then change your directory to /etc/httpd, then change back into 'user' and go to user's home directory, go to ~/apache-* and then install Apache? Almost anyone can do the equivelant in Windows but you have to know Linux at least a bit to do the above.

Until Linux gets more sensible in ways that the typical user likes it won't catch on (with everybody). But as I said there are more people who use Linux than who use Macs.

p.s. if any of you were wondering, the commands are:
    su
    cd /etc/httpd
    su user
    cd ~/apache-*
    ./configure
    make
    make install