SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Html Email Design - what widths should you use?

Hi,

We want to design some email templates for the quotes we send to customers.

I was wondering if there was any advise on the widths that you should design emails to - or is this just the sames as webpage design widths?

Thanks for the help

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm just getting into this myself. According to SitePoint's book on this, they suggest a width of 800px (like the old monitor standard). When people read these e-mails in their programs such as Windows Mail, it's a much smaller window than a regular 1024 x 768 monitor.

Hope this helps!

Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post
    We want to design some email templates for the quotes we send to customers.

I was wondering if there was any advise on the widths that you should design emails to - or is this just the sames as webpage design widths?
    Try these two Sitepoint articles: Code HTML email newsletters and Designers Guide to HTML email

In terms of widths - remember that some people will be reading emails in a much narrower (and shorter) space than they will typically use to view web pages.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't -- since I have all my servers set to auto-send HTML e-mails to the users trash... like a lot of hosts.

HTML e-mail pretty much just screams "Hey look, I'm SPAM" - so I wouldn't be wasting my time (or bandwidth) on them in the first place.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    I wouldn't -- since I have all my servers set to auto-send HTML e-mails to the users trash... like a lot of hosts.

HTML e-mail pretty much just screams "Hey look, I'm SPAM" - so I wouldn't be wasting my time (or bandwidth) on them in the first place.
    And something else I'm finding out (I'm pretty new at this, too) even though the likes of Campaign monitor.com will test your HTML e-mail in various browsers, I'm still getting replies back from recipients, "your last e-mail was blank. There was nothing in it." Back to the drawing board for me!

Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's a pretty extreme action, given the huge number of legitimate email newsletters that use HTML format.

Ideally, you should offer people a choice of plain text or HTML when they sign up.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    That's a pretty extreme action, given the huge number of legitimate email newsletters that use HTML format.
    NEVER seen one. But then I don't consider most "newsletters" legitimate traffic so... I hate that ****.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEVER seen one. But then I don't consider most "newsletters" legitimate traffic so... I hate that ****.
    You don't get the sitepoint ones then?

Blanket blocking all html emails seems very backward - html has huge advantages when you are trying to present complex and visual information via email.

If your blocking html emails because they may be spam, why don't you go the whole hog and just block all email and go back top pigeon post - that will ensure your nocking out 100% of spam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a nice sitepoint book on html email. I like it.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post
    html has huge advantages when you are trying to present complex and visual information via email.
    In other words crap I don't want in my e-mails. I've been using e-mail since back on fidonet, compuserve and genie - if you can't say it in plain text I probably don't give a ****.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as a graphic designer I think a single picture is worth a million words and that although the take a while to load proper use of them is good; in fact, necessary sometimes.

However, in the case of email, I am going to have to slightly agree with death shadow and say that email is better off in text alone. Slightly because DeathShadow seemed, with all due respect, quite firm on his position regarding graphic email.

I just realised how disgusting, sorry if thats harsh, email with flash or animated GIFs would be.

Anywho, if it i needs images or styling it should be a webpage or a pdf not an email and that what I think.