SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where to find webdesign photos?

Hi ! I wonder where to find some photos for a website. I see a lot of other people have tons of pictures on their sites and I don't know where they get them? I heard photos have copy rights too so I can't use any photo I find on Internet.
    I also want to get them free! Please help!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is the leading free stock photography website, but you have to check the license provided with the image to ensure you can use it for your situation:

http://www.sxc.hu/

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I like to take and use my own whenever possible. It usually means taking a lot just to maybe get a usable one, but I don't have to worry about any lawsuit.

Of course I'm fortunate enough to have a halfway decent digital camera and a good scanner - and the time and patience needed to get a usable photo.

I've been experimenting a bit with some different image applications since the ones I had were ancient (10 years!). I like Irfan and ImageMagick so far, though I still have a ways to go getting to know them better.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you want the images for. I have just created a site for my wifes new business. We tried taking some photos ourselfs but they were just not quite right for a business website; so we brought them from bigstockphoto for $3 each - website version.

We tried looking for photos on the free websites and their selection was very limited.

If I was creating a non business website I would probably use my own - again it depends on the subject as you may not be able to get the photo of a volcano you need in England !

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imo, it depends on:

- what quality do you need with these images?
    - is your project commercial? (i.e. are you able to pay for images)
    - how fast do you need to get graphic content?

If you need high quality and right now, you have to try one of the pay microstock websites - millions of ready-to-use images which are properly and clearly licenced.

If you do not want to spend a cent - use free sources, but be aware that they to not pay much attention to image sources and licensing.

Anyways, you may check the website in my sig - i have lots of resources of both types there for many content types. Hope, it helps..
    A huge list of resources for designers and content producers
    to buy, sell or share stock photo images and other content.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links