SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have thoughtful reasons as to why one is better than the other?

Also, does anyone know a good way to produce quicktime streaming files? I used Premier LE, made a movie into Quicktime movie format, then opened the movie in Quicktime Pro and exported into a streaming file. The result is a god-awful pixelated movie not worth seeing....

Does anyone have a known, proven way of producing quality movies (like the trailers on Apple's Site) that are still small enough to put up on a host?

What's the trade secrets that Apple is using to produce such great quality movies as their trailers?

Thanks!!!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I uninstalled RealPlayer almost immediately. Why? It was as if I opened it and a huge billboard popped up on my computer, which not only took precious processor time, but RAM and some of my time too.

Real Inc. has also been sued for privacy violation because they sent user data to the mothership (in this case something like data.real.com).

I know this has happened to many other people and so now Real has a fairly bad reputation. QuickTime is currently my choice for Web videos.

[This message has been edited by d3v (edited June 15, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like Real Player too much, but I do think they play video/audio clearer than the alternatives.

QuickTime is alright, but in my case it always takes forever to load and sometimes it times out.

I think Real Player is the best in quality, but if you want to avoid the priacy issues and banner ads and all that other confusion, then go with Windows Media Player...it's relatively no-nonsense and the quality is very comepareable to the Real Player.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have anyone of you checked out the movies trailers done with Quicktime? Can find'em at Apple or other movie sites.

From what I've experienced, there's nothing quite comparable to Quicktime. It's virtually like watching it on tape or on the big screen... check it out and give me some feedback.

Anyone out there know how they get such good quality?

Thanks!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering Windows Media gives you the choice of Window's .AVI format and MPEG2 video format, I don't know how you can get clearer than that. MPEG2 is the same quality video you get on DVD-ROM.

I personally don't have Quicktime installed on my computer because it is too invasive and changes file associations without permission. I just tried to download here at work and I can't download it through the firewall.
    ------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited June 16, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Real is the highest quality, fastest streaming, but the most annoying due to the long time to start streaming and the ads. QuickTime is also slow, but is quite high quality. MediaPlayer is my favorite: no ads, quick loading, and it can show most formats.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Owen. Real was my player of choice until I used Media. Faster loading, no ads, and I personally think the image quality is better in most cases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all-round Windows Media Player is the best one. It supports the most file formats, it loads very quickly when you open it, it has a user friendly interface, you can use it as mp3 player, video player and streaming media player. The new version also has skin support and I saw there are some really cool skins between them...

About the rest.. I have them all installed on my HD. RealPlayer takes a much too big loading time and it always says there are updates of 5 mb. so it's kinda annoying. It also slows down the computer a lot.

QuickTime is OK. I don't use it much, but I've used it and it was much better than RealPlayer, but not as good as MediaPlayer.

The smartest choice is Windows Media Player, cause it is installed on every Windows PC.

Johanns Christophe

------------------
    http://freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the process for developing files for the windows media player?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, how does one author windows media player files? Is there a special app like Real or Quicktime or can one just create avi files?
    And what if I want to stream that file?

And is it possible to create Win Media Player files from a Mac?
    Thanks!

[This message has been edited by djh (edited June 26, 2000).]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most video apps can output AVI files. Take Bryce 4 (a 3-D modeling app), for example. It can output its results into sequential BMP files (1.bmp, 2.bmp, and so on), AVI files, and QuickTime files.

It would be incredibly tedious to draw each frame of a movie, so most apps just recieve a few instructions then render movies.

Also, Bryce 4 runs on a Mac and it can output AVI video files, so yep you can create WMP files on Macs.