User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast MiddleFingerMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Table woes in Netsuck!

Hello All!

I'm going to pump 2 questions into this post!

Question #1:

Check this out - http://www.hendersoiltools.com

If you're using IE it will look fine. If you're there with Netsuck 6, you see that my tables have big gaps in them! Why is that? I remember encountering a small table problem with IE but this is the first time I've run into a table problem with Netsuck.

Question #2:

The description for this forum starts off with:
    HTML and its successor ...
    Is XHTML a replacement for HTML? I read an article not long ago that said XHTML was to be used if one wanted to be sure of cross platform (IE: Web - Handheld etc) capabilities. So should one be using XHTML in certain situation or all the time? I was (before I read the article) begining to use XHTML all the time. So what's the scoop on that?

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    replies in quick:

1) http://evolt.org/article/Does_Netsca...427/index.html

2) XHTML is a new, stricter way of writing HTML as a proper subset of XML. XML is where we're all going to be in a couple of years. it's structured, and can be easily redeployed across multiple platforms. HTML can be a right messy thing. XHTML is HTML done in a strict XML way, and can be seen as a transitional standard as we're waiting for the tools etc to handle pure XML. it's easier to transfer XHTML documents to XML (as, technically, they're already in an XML subset). jumping from HTML to XML is a lot more difficult.
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've never had this problem with nuttscrape 6.x but i just use tables & css.

this guy is having the same problem - he's just a couple of posts above without an answer really...

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=67750

the one thing though that might be happening something to do with JavaScript.. you both use it -- i never have.. have you tried doing a javascript debug or whatever its called in NS

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're using IE it will look fine. If you're there with Netsuck 6, you see that my tables have big gaps in them!
    I just fired up IE6 side-by-side with a recent Mozilla nightly, and can't see any significant differences between them on the homepage. But then, I can't see any obvious tables, either

You're using an XHTML doctype, so if you're using images in tables, and getting unexpected vertical gaps, you might be discovering Gecko's excellent support of the CSS2 box model - see http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/faq.html, especially item 2.

SitePoint Enthusiast MiddleFingerMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ktown: nuttscrape? LOL! That's a good one!

redux: I have a pretty good understanding of what XML, what XHTML is and why to use XHTML but I'm still wondering if XHTML is something I should use regularily now? What if the page I'm building will never be viewed on any other medium than the web? Should I still use XHTML? Is it truly HTML's 'replacement'?

blufive: I'm not using CSS for tables though. I'm using it strickly for the text, links and background image. Still a factor?

I've not read the Evolt article (is see mention of doctype and css in there at a glance) yet but will do so when I get home. I shouldn't even be posting while at work!
    Last edited by MiddleFingerMan; Jul 16, 2002 at 13:37.