SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to use downloaded font??

I've downloaded a font that i want to use on my site, it look's like a hand writen font that is gonna be used for a diary, but how do i use it on the site and that my visitiors will be able to see it too??

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, the only way that visitors can see the font is if they have the same font on their computer - and with the same name. The chance of this is quite small, so your best bet would be to just use a font like verdana or arial - something that everyone has. You could also create images with the font and then upload them to a webpage, but that kind of defeats the purpose.
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you could embed the font in the page, but this has limitations and some rather negative points. It noticably increases your page loading time, I dont think it works in all browsers, it likely will only work on people who are using a Windows OS.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/default.asp
    Memento Mori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i guess i'll go with verdana/arial italic font then, thnkz for reply's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always offer the font as a download for those user's that want to "enhance their browsing experience". While I don't know how many people would take you up on the offer, it couldn't hurt.

Just set the font you want as the default like so:
    <font face="somefont, verdana, sans-serif">

or the CSS way:
    body { font-family: somefont, verdana, sans-serif; }
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please bear in mind the copyright issues involved in embedding fonts and offering fonts that are not yours to give for download. this was actually one of the main problems which pretty much slowed/halted development of font embedding technologies about 3 years ago.
    read the readme.txt or whatever that came with the font's zip archive, check the site you downloaded it from, and - if necessary - ask the author directly for permission...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes thats true. Im sure if some font makers found their fonts were being distributed other than where they gave permission they would not be too pleased.
    Memento Mori

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by redux
    please bear in mind the copyright issues involved in embedding fonts and offering fonts that are not yours to give for download. this was actually one of the main problems which pretty much slowed/halted development of font embedding technologies about 3 years ago.
    read the readme.txt or whatever that came with the font's zip archive, check the site you downloaded it from, and - if necessary - ask the author directly for permission...
    From my own experience using WEFT:
    Weft comes with an interface to 'embed' the font. The program creates some sort of custom file that's like an ordinary font file, but only holds the characters used on the pages in question. Therefore, it can remain relatively small. This custom file can only be used with the page it came from. You can't steal a font that way. Actually, when 'embedding' the font using the interface, you have to specify the actual URL of the page it needs to be used with. This information is stored into the custom file. One wouldn't be able to use that file with a different url...
    Also, font designers can specify wheter it is permitted to 'embed' their font or not. If not, WEFT is unable to 'embed' that font...

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape 4.XX supports Font Embedding as well. I am not sure if Mozilla/Netscape 6+ supports this but it wouldn't hurt to check. I am pretty sure Opera wouldn't support something like this though.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.
    -Sucker
    Wcgalaxy - http://www.wcgalaxy.com
    Wcgalaxy Forum - http://www.wcgalaxy.com/vbb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ThaLIkz
    Well i guess i'll go with verdana/arial italic font then, thnkz for reply's.
    My vote for "Comic sans MS" to give a handwritten look

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash

You can use flash to use the font you want, just make the movie the size you want and just write your text in a single-frame flash movie. That way it loads quickly (Flash files are much smaller than gif) and people still get the nice font you want to use. Macromedia offers free downloads for Flash and it would be simple to use for that purpose. Also, Dreamweaver offers a "flash text" option that makes a small flash movie with the font you want. Little suggestion.
    Derrick
    Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster!