SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    SitePoint Wizard ShayneTilley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,044
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    It's our party, and we'll give away a free CSS video series if we want to!

    Everyone likes to celebrate. People enjoy throwing birthday parties, or buying anniversary gifts for their beloved. Today, though, we’re doing it differently: We’re releasing a new course, and we’re offering our 8-part CSS video series free to celebrate!

    So for 7 days only, our eight-part CSS Crash Course is FREE (valued at $29.95).

    In under three hours, you’ll learn the basics of CSS from our resident guru Kevin Yank, and it will cost you zilch, zip, nada!

    Why are we giving you free stuff?

    1. We recognize this is a fantastic product to start you learning CSS.
    2. If you enjoy our crash course—and we reckon you will—you’re going to be amazed at what our CSS Live Course offers.


    But that’s all for later. All you need to know right now is that this great product is available free—but you only have 7 days to make it yours. So act now!
    Shayne Tilley

    My slightly left of center thoughts on
    marketing, business and life in general.

  2. #2
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks! This is a pretty good -- VERY good deal for just clicking a button!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  3. #3
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree ShyFlower, fantastic freebie and it'll compliment the CSS Live course very nicely indeed! Thank you SitePoint!

    On a sidenote, I'm wondering if Shayne could sing the title line of this thread to us

  4. #4
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I am watching it right now, I hope that I can learn something new here
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  5. #5
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,235
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, giving away CSS courses is much better than crying if you want to *singing to the tune*

  6. #6
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi:

    You may have heard of the guy that had a big beer party, and locked all of the bathroom doors.

    Your site has locked out multiple attempts( about 6hrs of attempting) to download the video archives. Several times I achieved over 90 percent of the download(s) but since your site doesn't permit Resume download, can't get a complete download via my wireless connection.

  7. #7
    Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    paul_wilkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    14,705
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    These videos are interesting, but IE6 does certainly rear its ugly head all too often as a limitation on what can be done.

    And yes, that short-changed download does become very annoying. In New Zealand we pay for our internet by our usage, so large failed downloads tend to hurt.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

  8. #8
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,820
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmw57 View Post
    These videos are interesting, but IE6 does certainly rear its ugly head all too often as a limitation on what can be done.

    And yes, that short-changed download does become very annoying. In New Zealand we pay for our internet by our usage, so large failed downloads tend to hurt.
    A modern browser that allows you to restart failed downloads from the failure point certainly comes in handy in those situations.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  9. #9
    Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    paul_wilkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    14,705
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    A modern browser that allows you to restart failed downloads from the failure point certainly comes in handy in those situations.
    This is not a browser issue, because after failing a few times with Google Chrome, I moved on to more experienced downloaders like jDownload. Even that isn't able to resume the failed download once your credentials time out.

    Due to the amount of time that it takes to download video at 30Kbps, once your credentials expire you have no permission to continue even if you were capable of doing so, which is a right pain in the wallet when you have cap on your bandwidth.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

  10. #10
    SitePoint Guru marcel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice introduction for the CSS Live class

  11. #11
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,820
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmw57 View Post
    This is not a browser issue, because after failing a few times with Google Chrome, I moved on to more experienced downloaders like jDownload. Even that isn't able to resume the failed download once your credentials time out.

    Due to the amount of time that it takes to download video at 30Kbps, once your credentials expire you have no permission to continue even if you were capable of doing so, which is a right pain in the wallet when you have cap on your bandwidth.
    So the issue is the timelimit on the credentials rather than a problem with restarting a download.

    You should take that up with SitePoint staff and get them to extend the timelimit on the credentials so that it is valid for long enough for the dowwnload to run.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  12. #12
    SitePoint Enthusiast Asgaroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've watched the first two videos already and really have enjoyed them! Thanks sitepoint for doing this! Joined up in the CSS class. Looks like a lot of cool fun!

  13. #13
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,235
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didn't have any problem to download... when I passed the time limit I simply refreshed the page and that was it.

  14. #14
    Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    paul_wilkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    14,705
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    I didn't have any problem to download... when I passed the time limit I simply refreshed the page and that was it.
    Yes, refreshing is fine, I just feel the hurt from redownloading from scratch, due to my country's pay-per-gig bandwidth cap.

    it's a nuisance when downloading via wifi, which after a couple of failed downloads encouraged me to remote desktop to my main machine for the remainder of the downloads.

    The videos also helped me to realise that the level of the videos is pitched at the pure beginner, so future videos will need to "sell" their content effectively, as I (and many others) will be unjustly using these CSS videos as a baseline for comparison.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

  15. #15
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    A modern browser that allows you to restart failed downloads from the failure point certainly comes in handy in those situations.
    And what browser would that be? I use FireFox 3.6.3 and the downloads failed for me if I added them to Firefox Downloads and tried to do them individually. On pausing them, the link expires. I ended up doing four at a time and then refreshing the page to download and save the remaining videos.

    I also question the note that you need Div X software to view these. They are .avi files and work great in Windows Media Player and I imagine they will work great on Macs as well. Although I downloaded this software, the audio sticks and skips like an old LP and the quality is horrid.

    Other than that, these video tutorials are excellent. Kevin's diction is perfect and his instruction are crystal clear as are the video images. Anyone that uses css and does not take advantage of this is making a big mistake whether they are new to css or their skills are advanced!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  16. #16
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded the DivX software and then downloaded the videos. When the download stalled I just clicked again and the download started up again. I use Safari 4.0.5

    Obviously it not a smooth affair. But who looks a gift horse in the mouth?
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  17. #17
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,820
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    And what browser would that be? I use FireFox 3.6.3 and the downloads failed for me if I added them to Firefox Downloads and tried to do them individually. On pausing them, the link expires. I ended up doing four at a time and then refreshing the page to download and save the remaining videos.
    At the time I made the original comment I didn't realise that the problem was with the download link expiring too quickly. That's a SitePoint problem rather than a browser problem.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  18. #18
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,235
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use help downloader so the download resumes rather than restart

  19. #19
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everybody.

    Just started exploring this great site and stumbled across the free CSS video giveaway - Yay! CSS is next on my list of things to learn, so this is a good thing!

    However, I'm not able to access the videos after signing up. :-( I get the following log in error:

    The order number and email address you submitted did not correspond with a customer who has purchased a video tutorial. Please check your email receipt and enter your email address and order number exactly as they appear on the receipt.

    I did click the support link, but it only offers a check to see if my product shipped (which of course it didn't, it's not a physical product).

    I know I have the correct email and order number entered, so I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

    **Sorry my first post is big, long question rather than a contribution. I hope to remedy that in the near future.**

  20. #20
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's great..Can't wait to get my hands on the series

    Thanks

    Jacob84
    Last edited by kohoutek; Jun 9, 2010 at 21:36. Reason: Removed sig link - signatures become available 90 days after registration

  21. #21
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE - A big shout out to Sarah Taylor (and anyone else that helped with the fix) for sorting out my video access issues and welcoming me to the forums! I'm downloading now.

    I'll start exploring all the great info here in the next few days. Looks like an excellent place to learn!

    Thanks again,
    Cindy

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleCindy View Post
    Hello everybody.

    Just started exploring this great site and stumbled across the free CSS video giveaway - Yay! CSS is next on my list of things to learn, so this is a good thing!

    However, I'm not able to access the videos after signing up. :-( I get the following log in error:

    The order number and email address you submitted did not correspond with a customer who has purchased a video tutorial. Please check your email receipt and enter your email address and order number exactly as they appear on the receipt.

    I did click the support link, but it only offers a check to see if my product shipped (which of course it didn't, it's not a physical product).

    I know I have the correct email and order number entered, so I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

    **Sorry my first post is big, long question rather than a contribution. I hope to remedy that in the near future.**

  22. #22
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleCindy View Post
    UPDATE - A big shout out to Sarah Taylor (and anyone else that helped with the fix) for sorting out my video access issues and welcoming me to the forums! I'm downloading now.

    I'll start exploring all the great info here in the next few days. Looks like an excellent place to learn!

    Thanks again,
    Cindy
    That Sarah Taylor is quite a Hawk, isn't she? She really keeps her eye on things around here!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  23. #23
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,545
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Thank you my friends.

  24. #24
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've already downloaded the videos (from when the thread got posted) but thought I would just add to the yay for free stuff list

  25. #25
    Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    paul_wilkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    14,705
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    I've already downloaded the videos (from when the thread got posted) but thought I would just add to the yay for free stuff list
    If it helps, here's what each video covers.

    1. Inline/in-page/linked css. Differences between Id, class, tag, and link pseudo-class references
    2. advanced selectors including multiple selectors and class names, child and sibling selector, first-line and first-letter selector
    3. text properties such as color, align, indent, points and ems, font families, and sizes
    4. more text properties such as font styles and weights, line height, font abbreviations, and spacing
    5. inheritance and how it applies to some styles but not others
    6. cascade and how it applies to paragraph and link styles
    7. specs, sitepoint resources, dreamweaver, firebug, zen garden
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •