User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    878 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    My B.A. is in English Education. I would like to edit your book or parts of it as it is made, if that's ok with you guys in exchange for a copy of the finished product. I have knowledge of CSS but I'm not an expert like some of you others are. Looks like most subjects are pretty covered.
    Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

OK. you won me over, this is awesome. I too am now emerging from the silent lurk to make my first post.

I would like to write on one or more of the following. I'll try for all (again on the concept of, more chances to have one of mine picked for inclusion).
    +++++++++++
    Category: SEO, website development, Flash
    Working Title: Optimizing Flash for Search Engines

Article Description: The article will cover the techniques for (as the title describes) optimizing flash content on a site to take advantage of Google's changes in how it indexes Flash.
    +++++++++++++++

Categories: Online Marketing, HTML
    Working Title: Playing with Explosives: Coding Email HTML Mailings that Don't Explode in the InBox.
    Article Description: Tips and techniques on design, code, and content, with code samples. I'll also talk about email development in a team environment.
    ++++++++++++++
    Categories: Web Coding, Markup Languages, Stylesheet Languages, Debugging, Web Standards
    Working Title: Bug Slaying, Code Hygiene, the Hack Attack, and You: Tips, Tools and Techniques for Getting Your HTML and CSS To Behave and Still Look Nice.
    Article Description: What to do when no matter what you try, your page still looks awful in Browser X? The article will take a look at a selection of debugging tools, resources, and techniques for getting the front end webpage code to work, and be maintainable.
    +++++++++++++++
    Categories: Stylesheet Languages, Web Standards
    Working Title: Maintainable CSS
    Article Description: Your style-sheet starts out all shiny and understandable, and before you know it, it's become a mind bogglingly treacherous wilderness of un-navigable, and barely intelligible CSS. Change one thing, and the entire site disintegrates before your eyes. What are some approaches to structuring your CSS and style-sheet(s) to make them (and your site) more easily maintainable and update-able, without making you want to rip your hair out?

+++++++++++++++++++++

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about my lack of details earlier.

Category: Audio + Video
    Working Title: Preparing Audio and Video for the Web
    Article Description: Methods of preparing audio and video for user content on the web which would cover minor editing, compression and file types.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Categories: Online Communities/Social Networks, Server-side

Working Title: Interoperability for Community Sharing

Article Description: Online Communities include many global Virtual 3D Communities more and more as we progress. I'd like to write a tutorial chapter building a simple link-sharing app for websites using PHP and LSL.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmw57 View Post
    I would like to write something up about transcribing old javascript code, of which there is a lot out there on the web, to code more suited for today.
    That's a good idea, actually.

Mentioned
    878 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    There are just 5 days left to get your submissions in...

Any more takers?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCooper View Post
    ... a new Website project template. This will cover a template Web page, a CSS base template, a JS base template, and a base folder structure. Once you have this setup you can simply copy and paste the whole folder, rename it, and begin editing and adding content. Andrew Cooper
    Andrew, I could use a template like that right now!

Articles I can write:

Web coding / Database: Why do we have all these new NoSQL databases like MongoDB, CouchDB, etc.? What are they good for? Why would you choose one of them rather than the traditional RDBMS?

or

Web coding: Progressive enhancement. How to develop with progressive enhancement, and why.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ideas! I can't wait to read some of the topics you are planning to write about, guys...

I am in, sign me up! I am going to write about online and social marketing for small businesses.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I might write about Form Validation and Security since there seem to have been lots of questions lately that indicate that a lot of people don't understand it and since it doesn't clash with what anyone else is doing.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to be involved in this. Here's my suggested contribution!

Category:
    General wrting/accessibility

Working title: "Writing for the impatient eye"

Description: Forget everything you've ever been taught about writing. All those big words you learnt at school and the theses you wrote in college have no place on the web. It's time to be ruthless with your writing and get straight to the point. Hurry.. we don't have much time!

Cheers,

Tom

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds great. This is what I would be working on if picked.

Category: Audio + Video

Working Title: Planning a Successful Video shoot

Subtitle: The Role of the Video Producer

Article Description: Most of the information out there on video for the web focuses on the actual production and the processing of the video of the web. There is a dearth of information about what the logistics are and what the process is to plan a successful shoot or series of shoots with video that has high production value. I would cover preproduction (budgeting, scheduling . . .) post-production, how distribution choices affect production and post-production, branding (watermarks, titles . . .), crew positions and areas of responsibility.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I may have something to contribute to the Website structure or information design categories. I'm an academic librarian with an English major background (and now I work on the library's web site), and I suggest the following:

Working Title: "Building from the ground up"

Description: So you've got a great product or idea. But how can your users use your web site to access the information about it? Here are some practical tips on building your web site structure so that information is properly accessed and clearly organized.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in participating. I plan on doing web coding in the area of languages in client/server-sides. I don't really have a good concrete idea of what I want to work on exactly so no working title or description yet.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the benefit of the collective; out of interest since now the 'signup' time period has probably expired, what is the next step?...

Is it a case of we get on with our pieces of work and submit the 'draft(s)' when we are happy before Friday 8 October or will there be further announcements.

In addition is there a particular length you are looking at either in words or pages, let us say for example; 'xyz' pieces of A4 paper. I realise the article section mentions 1500+ words though some of the topics will be quite in-depth and others fairly brief depending on topic breadth, writing approach and style.

I thought I'd just raise these few questions in case they haven't already been covered.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    xhtmlcoder: The next step is that anyone who has signed up to participate should either clarify what they want to write about (if they have not already done so - such as those who didn't give anything more than a category), or if they have already stated what they want to write about, they should go ahead and begin writing their content! As for content length, I think we're aiming for what you would get in the average article (so probably between 1,500 and 5,000 words - which is pretty consistent with most medium to long article sites) which should probably give people enough space to put their work across without getting too wordy. Though it's worth saying that when it goes to the editors at HQ if the content is too long or requires a bit of work, I'm sure they will make the necessary edits to ensure it fits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - I just heard about the community book from the Sitepoint Facebook page. If it's not too late, I'd love to write about: Interaction Design, User-experience Design and the Psychology of Design.

I wrote an university paper earlier this year on the Gestalt Principles of perception and how they can be applied to interface design, and I'd love to include some of the material I wrote then. I would also like to cover visual metaphors and the power of affordance in visual interface design.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to be involved with this. Specifically:

Getting Online:

* Domain names - good naming processes and dns
    * Self-hosting - server setup/vps etc
    * Apache Setup - virtualhosting/log analysis

Web coding:

* Web Standards (W3C, Validation)
    * Debugging Code (Browser Bugs)
    * Frameworks (CSS)
    * Markup Languages (XHTML, HTML5, XML, RSS, Microformats, Sitemap)
    * MetaData Languages (Robots.txt)
    * Stylesheet Languages (CSS)
    * Database (mySQL)
    * Client-side (JavaScript)
    * Server-side (PHP)

Content creation:

* General Writing
    * Copywriting
    * CMS systems
    * Social Media

Marketing:

* Online/Offline Advertising - general
    * Online/Offline Marketing - general
    * SEO / SEM (Searches) - general
    * SMM / Social Networks - facebook/twitter/linkedin
    * CRM integration - salesforce
    * Email Marketing

Its a fair list I know and I won't be able to write everything under the sun but would like to offer my services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I note that CSS has been largely ignored so far. In addition to the above, I would like to write a mini-CSS reference with succinct examples and explanations of selectors, specificity and inheritance.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photography
    Web Standards (W3C, Etc)
    Debugging Code (Browser Bugs)
    Frameworks (CSS, JS, RIA)
    Markup Languages (HTML, XML, RSS, Atom, Microformats, Sitemap)
    Stylesheet Languages (CSS))
    Client-side (JavaScript, AJAX, DOM, ECMAScript, JScript, VBScript)

Above is my bread and butter. I'd like to talk about HTML5 and CSS3 if chosen for either. I also do photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    I'll write something on one of the following. I'll leave making a decision as to which until we see what others want to write about.

• Website hosting
    • Domain names
    • Self-hosting
    • Security / Privacy
    • Database (mySQL)
    • Client-side (JavaScript, AJAX, DOM, ECMAScript)
    Ill definitely watch out for your ajax articles
    Don't Panic

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I taught networking for years, and I could write about TCP/IP or networking in general, but that would bore you to tears. Really, that's a dry well, except for the security angle and that is trying to listen to at best. But, I think the ticket is mortised web design. I'll try to provide a segment on how to use Photoshop/Fireworks to create a backdrop for web pages that can be sliced to become a full fledged website. There are a few CSS tricks that have to be observed and layering is not dead yet. All of which jQuery could be used to bring it all to life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well HAWK, if you guys are looking for editors, I'd be happy to help with that - typos, grammar, sentence structure - those sorts of things

Mentioned
    878 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Awesome guys - thanks very much.

The important thing to note is that the deadline for drafts is October 8th.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I write about the CSS Levels and how to use them effectively or is this already covered? Also, I would like to cover a bit about different browser types based on Rendering Engines? let me know something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If possible I want to write about different way of integrating the flash in web application since I have seen many people are confused about that.