SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Are you interested in writing a SitePoint book?

There is so much knowledge right here in our SitePoint community that it really does seem criminal to waste it. For that reason, we've been working on an idea to harness some of that knowledge and put it to good use. And eureka - we've decided to try and write a collaborative book. (I must admit, the idea wasn't mine - we have Alex Dawson to thank for it).

A team of keen staff have had their heads together for a while now drafting up a bit of a process that we think might make this project work. So here it is in a nutshell.

How will it be structured?
    We're looking for article length pieces on your subject of choice -- which when collaborated will hopefully result in a patchwork of fun and interesting 'stuff'. Any subject is welcome within the web design / development field whether theoretical or practical. We've compiled a list of subjects (below) to give you some ideas, but feel free to stray if you feel that you have something else to say that is relevant and of interest.

How you structure your contribution is entirely up to you. You might want to write a tutorial, a tips and tricks style article or a thought provoking piece. The main requirement is that it be unique, interesting and fresh (not just remixing existing material).

Who can take part?
    Anyone can have a shot provided they have a good handle on the English language and they know their subject well.

Where can I sign up?
    If you would like to take part, put your name down in this thread, along with a rough title for your piece and a brief explanation (so that we don't get duplicates). The subjects are broad so several submissions may fall under one category.

We are allowing one month for signing up and three for submitting your work. That means that you must sign up by Friday 9 July and submit your draft by Friday 8 October.

Once you're happy with your draft you can email it to communitybook@sitepoint.com.

At this stage we are planning on producing the book in PDF format with the option to print on demand.

Contributors will get a free PDF of the book and will be allowed to write a very brief self-promotional bio. They'll also be able to claim to be a published SitePoint author.

It is important to note that while this is a community project, the book will be published under the SitePoint brand so we ultimately have the right to veto contributions and to edit accepted contributions in any way deemed necessary.

If we have too many submissions in one section we reserve the right to reject some drafts after submission. The material will be returned to you to use as you see fit.

So here is that list:

General Internet:
    • Online Communities/Social Networks
    • TCP/IP / WWW
    • Protocols / Pseudos
    • Web Browsers
    • Dev Software

Planning Website:
    • General Questions
    • Web Branding
    • Business Start-up
    • Business Management
    • Careers / Education
    • Business Inspiration
    • Competitive Research
    • Idea Development
    • Information Architecture
    • Website Structure

Getting Online:
    • Website hosting
    • Domain names
    • Self-hosting
    • Apache/IIS config
    • Security / Privacy

Content creation:
    • Blogging
    • General Writing
    • Copywriting
    • Graphics (make/edit)
    • Photography
    • Audio + Video
    • Information Design
    • Legalities of Media
    • Business Documents
    • Legal Documents
    • CMS systems
    • Social Media

General Design:
    • Mobile Design
    • Design Sociology
    • Accessibility
    • Usability
    • UI Design (Webapps)
    • Interaction Design
    • User-experience Design
    • Psychology of Design

Web coding:
    • Web Standards (W3C, Etc)
    • Debugging Code (Browser Bugs)
    • Frameworks (CSS, JS, RIA)
    • Markup Languages (HTML, XML, RSS, Atom, Microformats, Sitemap)
    • MetaData Languages (DCMI, OWL, RDF, PAD, Robots.txt)
    • Stylesheet Languages (CSS)
    • Postscript Languages (FlashPaper, PDF, XPS)
    • Multimedia Languages (Flash/ActionScript, Silverlight, Java, Shockwave)
    • Vector Languages (3DML, Canvas, GML, KML, SVG, UML, VML, X3D)
    • Database (MS-SQL, mySQL, Postgre, SQLite, Oracle, MongoDB, etc)
    • Client-side (JavaScript, AJAX, DOM, ECMAScript, JScript, VBScript)
    • Server-side (ColdFusion, Java, JSP, Lasso, ASP, .NET, Perl, PHP, SMX, .NET, Python, Ruby, Smalltalk)
    • RIA's (HTA, Air, Cappuccino, Curl, Gears, Flex, Prism, WPF, Titanium)

Marketing:
    • Online/Offline Advertising
    • Online/Offline Marketing
    • SEO / SEM (Searches)
    • SMM / Social Networks
    • eCommerce (Buy/Sell)
    Last edited by HAWK; Jun 10, 2010 at 18:22.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Oh! Oh! I'll sign up.

Online Communities/Social Networks
    I'm going to write a piece about what it means to be part of an online community (which I'll tie into an introductory overview for the book).

Proposed title: 'How To Be a Great Online Community Member -- And Some Tips For Just Being a Run of the Mill One.'

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will SP be charging for this book?

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Will SP be charging for this book?
    Good question.

No - we will not be charging for the PDF format of the book, but we will be selling the print on demand version at cost.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll write something on one of the following. I'll leave making a decision as to which until we see what others want to write about.

• Website hosting
    • Domain names
    • Self-hosting
    • Security / Privacy
    • Database (mySQL)
    • Client-side (JavaScript, AJAX, DOM, ECMAScript)
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would love to either write something on Accessibility or User-experience Design (so I'll put my name in the YAY column), though I'll hold off picking something specific (like Stephen) to give other people in the community the opportunity to pick what they feel they can write about (I'm sure I can think of something!) I look forward to seeing all the wonderful subjects everyone wants to write about, it's a pretty exciting project and I'm all for being a co-author with SitePoint!

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might write up something about the choices of all over graphic appeal, colors and photography and how to best integrate those with themes of a project and keep all of the presentation light weight and hang together as a unit. I want to point out how important it is to be flexible (not pixel perfect for the different browsers) and create graphics/backgrounds that look fine without being just gradations.

I want to include the importance of choosing clarity, of choosing background colors that do not destroy readability. Maybe point out how tiny type for navigation in fixed sizes can be a horror for visibly impaired people.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I would like to write something up about transcribing old javascript code, of which there is a lot out there on the web, to code more suited for today.
    Last edited by Mittineague; Jun 11, 2010 at 09:54.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to be involved.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in writing about wordpress plugin development. I wish i will write about wordpress plugin fundamentals and then some sample plugins with code samples.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can help with Audio and Video content creation but since I do more professional audio. Could you guys let me know what about it that you're interested in knowing? Don't want to let myself stray too far from writing something useful.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in writing about ASP.NET and IIS

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sign me up, please!

Wow! What a fantastic opportunity! Alex - You bloody genius! I shouldn't, but I'll assume we can submit a couple of different entries and hope that we get at least one of them included in the book ?

Also, in what document format should we send the material in to the E-Mail address? Is Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) ok? If we're submitting image screenshots and so on with our article / tutorial / written piece then should we attach the images in the E-Mail along with the attached written document and should they be in .png or .jpg format?

And yes, these are just rough title names and descriptions.

General Internet: Web Browsers
    Proposed Title: Viewing The Source - No Matter What

Brief Description: You'll often come across Websites that are completely Flash based or have them silly JavaScript scripts running that don't allow you to view the source of the Website. This article will guide you through viewing the source of any Website using examples from the most popular Web browsers with different methods available in each browser - You have a choice, rather than not being able to view the source.

Planning Website: Careers / Education
    Proposed Title: Grab Yourself A Free Web Education

Brief Description: This article will explore different ways of grabbing yourself a free Web design / development education on the Web that will actually teach you the things that matter. You'll explore free and up-to-date curriculums such as Operas Web Standards Curriculum as well as the WaSP InterACT curriculum. We'll also cover free, professional books, resources, blogs and article Websites as well as podcasts and video casts.

Web Coding: Web Standards / Markup Languages / Stylesheet Languages / Client-Side
    Proposed Title: (What is) Front-End Web Development (?)

Brief Description: In this section we'll cover the three front-end Web development technologies: HTML, CSS, and JS and the layers that these technologies are attached to: structural, presentational, and behavioural so we get a thorough grounding in the theory of front-end / client-side Web development.

So yea, I'm thinking about them right now in my head. I'd like to submit them all to be in with a better chance of having a piece published in the book Thanks again, you downright sexy people!

Andrew Cooper

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive my first post being in this thread, I'm a long-time lurker, the shy type, haha!

Anyway, I'd really like to write something on getting started in the industry. It would cover things such as: learning options (self-taught, courses, etc), finding your niche, finding resources, getting experience/a job, starting a portfolio, etc.

I just wanted to add that I would include something about the value of mentoring and finding guidance. As a young person in the industry I've found it to be very important, and something many newcomers may overlook.
    Last edited by felgall; Jun 11, 2010 at 12:31. Reason: merged two posts

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Good question.

No - we will not be charging for the PDF format of the book, but we will be selling the print on demand version at cost.
    Thanks Hawk...

Let me try to think of something worth writing that I actually have a clue about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all have a book in us they say If only I had the time, I have about 20.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interoperability for Community Sharing

Online Communities include many global Virtual 3D Communities more and more as we progress. I'd like to write a tutorial chapter building a simple link-sharing app for websites using PHP and LSL.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we've decided to try and write a collaborative book.
    I'm pretty sure this is called a wiki.

They'll also be able to claim to be a published SitePoint author.
    Oh god no. Author of a book is synonymous with an expert - not someone who just wrote an article.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how best to put this but "TCP/IP" is a rather 'broad subject' I've studied it in depth and am familiar with the "Internet Model" and so forth. Including those four specifically involved 'TCP/IP Network Model' Layers; 'Application Layer' at the top layer followed by 'Transport Layer', then ' Internet Layer', and finally the 'Network Interface Layer'.

Though it can get rather deep and involved even on the 'Transport Layer' you could write over a dozen pages... So would I be correct in thinking you only really interested in brief; Telnet, FTP, TFTP, SMTP, DNS, TCP, UDP, IP, ICMP and HTTP and possibly one or two others from the above four layers within the "TCP/IP Model"?

Because they are probably the more commonly known protocols within the: 'TCP/IP Network Model' loosely relating to Web Development.

I possibly could help but wouldn't really fancy writing a whole article on them as they are fairly dry even when simplified and skimmed-over. Basically I spent two years learning the OSI Model (differs to TCP/IP Network Model) in great detail though it was more concerning protocols for Industrial standard Cisco Routers and Switches.

However, if you are desperate I could possibly be persuaded to try.

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xhtmlcoder View Post
    Because they are probably the more commonly known protocols within the: 'TCP/IP Network Model' loosely relating to Web Development.

I possibly could help but wouldn't really fancy writing a whole article on them as they are fairly dry even when simplified and skimmed-over.
    I guess what it comes down to most is, what do you most want to tell the web design audience here at SitePoint about TCP/IP?
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    OK, I'll give it a shot. I'm thinking of a topic like this:

Title: Anatomy of a Website

An overview of the basic components of a website, from the elements that make up a web page to the relationships between pages, folders, images, stylesheets and scripts.

Might relate to the Website Structure category under Planning Website.

I'd also be happy to help with editing and/or proofreading the submissions.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCooper
    Also, in what document format should we send the material in to the E-Mail address? Is Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) ok? If we're submitting image screenshots and so on with our article / tutorial / written piece then should we attach the images in the E-Mail along with the attached written document and should they be in .png or .jpg format?
    I'm not entirely sure what software HQ have access too but I would probably say (to be better safe than sorry) to save it as a conventional .doc file or something Andrew (Sarah can probably confirm this), Office 07/10 has a compatibility mode so that shouldn't be an issue. As for images, as long as their of a high enough quality it probably doesn't matter - and yes I would attach them separately rather than just embedding them in the document

Quote Originally Posted by hash View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is called a wiki. Oh god no. Author of a book is synonymous with an expert - not someone who just wrote an article.
    hash, I don't know whether what you said is implied to be sarcasm but SitePoint has pretty high standards when it comes to what they publish under their name, if you've ever tried to get an article published here you would be aware of this. You can be sure that anything submitted is going to be verified for quality and substandard material isn't going to be published (hence why Sarah said know your subject). I really don't see there being any issue with such a collaboration, especially as we have so many experts and industry professionals who perhaps have never had the time or opportunity to write before. The fact Wiki's and social collaboration is such big business these days only strengthens the potential this kind of medium could give the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by xhtmlcoder View Post
    I don't know how best to put this but "TCP/IP" is a rather 'broad subject' I've studied it in depth and am familiar with the "Internet Model" and so forth.
    All the subjects included are rather broad and could be taken in many different directions. We want people to be creative and come up with something they believe the SitePoint audience will find useful, fun, interesting and / or informative. If you feel there's something relating to TCP/IP which web professionals should know about (perhaps something they get wrong or you would like to discuss) then this is a good opportunity to get something out there and get recognised for it!

PS: Loving the ideas so far everyone, lot's of variety, keep it coming!

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Good ideas

If there's some space left after everyone else has had a go then I'd be interested in writing something along the lines of how to tackle a PSD to html/css conversion (or something similar).

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to write something on accessibility from a colour blind persons point of view, because I am!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEO / SEM (Searches)
    SMM / Social Networks
    eCommerce (Buy/Sell)

these three points are what I am good at. I'd like to writething for them.