User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introducing PHP Live and CSS Live

Last month you might have heard about—or participated in—Kevin Yank’s JavaScript Live. It was a great success, with over 3,000 participants signed up within a week, and fantastic feedback from the people who attended. On that note I’d like to introduce …

PHP Live with Kevin Yank

• Duration: 21 days
    • Starts: 14th June, 2010
    • Price: $29.95

CSS Live with Russ Weakley

• Duration: 14 days
    • Starts: 5th July, 2010
    • Price: $9.95

Both courses follow the same format of JavaScript Live, with structured lessons (including a mix of videos and mini articles) for four days of each week, and live Q&As each Friday. You’ll also have access to a huge community of fellow course students helping each other in a private forum.

We’ve also kept the prices to a minimum, with PHP Live only $29.95 for a three-week course, and CSS Live (two weeks) only $9.95!

You have plenty of lead time to sign up for these courses, but I’d recommend getting in early—if numbers are too great, we might need to close off entries before the course starts.

And my final piece of course-related good news is that we’ve opened up the doors once more on JavaScript Live. If you missed the original course, for $9.95 you can sign up now and do it at your own pace. There’s sure to be a crowd participating at the same time, so the only difference will be no live Friday Q&As; however, you will receive recordings of the previous Q&As. Sign up to JavaScript Live here.
    Last edited by ShayneTilley; Jun 3, 2010 at 17:40.
    Shayne Tilley

My slightly left of center thoughts on
    marketing, business and life in general.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Shayne,
    I am thinking of attending the PHP live course with Kevin Yank. What will I need in order to successfully do the exercises? Are there specific downloads I should have as well as machine configuration? I did not see this addressed on the FAQ page.

Thanks,

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you teaching OOP or procedural? May recommend this to a friend who is learning at the moment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcoder View Post
    Hi Shayne,
    I am thinking of attending the PHP live course with Kevin Yank. What will I need in order to successfully do the exercises? Are there specific downloads I should have as well as machine configuration? I did not see this addressed on the FAQ page.

Thanks,
    First day of the course will walk you though everything you need. So just bring your willingness to learn and a smile, and you'll be fine
    Shayne Tilley

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did Javascript live and can't wait for this one

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Shayne,

I'm interested in doing the course, but have a full time job and two kids - so I was just wondering how much time you think needs to be allocated each day to the course? A couple of hours a day, or maybe more?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

- Charlie

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcoder View Post
    Are there specific downloads I should have as well as machine configuration? I did not see this addressed on the FAQ page.
    No. Provided you're not running a ZX81 you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie13 View Post
    Hi Shayne,

I'm interested in doing the course, but have a full time job and two kids - so I was just wondering how much time you think needs to be allocated each day to the course? A couple of hours a day, or maybe more?
    I suggest that someone that did the course last time might be best qualified to answer this for you.

You won't get behind as such though - you can do things at your own pace.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javascript Live was fantastic overall. Very much looking forward to the PHP course.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    How much time per day did you have to commit to keep up with the course Maleika?

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I cannot give a good response to that because I was unable to follow the first week and started when we were 6 days into the course.

I then caught up with the material at the end of the second week. The rest went relatively fine.

On average, I'd say I spent approx. 3 hours per day.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait for these courses - CSS - to iron out bad habits! and PHP to learn from the experts the correct way once and for all!

@ timing issues - I think the beauty of these courses are that no matter how much time you have or don't have, you can always refer to the materials - plus with so many other students availing of these courses there is always someone on hand to help out where you might be struggling right here on the forums and of course the tutors, especially in the Live Q & A - very exciting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few weeks ago I bought the 4th ed of "Build your own Database Drive Website using PHP & MySQL" and have also just signed up to the PHP Live course!

I think my query has kinda been answered above, but I thought it worth asking to clarify: will all the course materials, not just the Q&A Videos, be available indefinitely in the course login section?

Thanks a million - can't wait! :-D

Alex

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies everyone - seeing what a great community there is on these forums made up my mind for me, and I just signed up!

Looking forward to the start of the course.

- Charlie

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies everyone - seeing what a great community there is on these forums made up my mind for me
    And my work here is done.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard John View Post
    Are you teaching OOP or procedural? May recommend this to a friend who is learning at the moment.
    We'll stick with procedural techniques in this introductory course, but we will be making good use of include files to separate controller code from template code.

Iím aiming to average about an hourís reading/viewing/coding/chatting per day, but it really depends on how quickly you learn. Some participants in JavaScript Live would go through lessons two or three times writing detailed notes for themselves, which will obviously take a lot longer.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Babyís got backóa hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javascript Live, whilst a great course, and something that I throughly enjoyed, did tend to overwhelm some of us who attended with infomation at times. Having said that, you have access to the course materal indiffinately, so take your time, and do what you can, when you can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrob View Post
    A few weeks ago I bought the 4th ed of "Build your own Database Drive Website using PHP & MySQL" and have also just signed up to the PHP Live course!

I think my query has kinda been answered above, but I thought it worth asking to clarify: will all the course materials, not just the Q&A Videos, be available indefinitely in the course login section?

Thanks a million - can't wait! :-D

Alex
    Yep it will be available indefinitely.
    Shayne Tilley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP course for $29.95, same price as a good book. What's the difference between a good book on PHP and a short course? Not that I am interested in the course but others might be wondering?
    a new day, a new beginning
    never follow the crowd, the crowd is poor!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NetNerd85 View Post
    PHP course for $29.95, same price as a good book. What's the difference between a good book on PHP and a short course? Not that I am interested in the course but others might be wondering?
    Yep fair question, to be honest, you'll get access to way more content though the course that our book, we use the medium that best suits what is being taught at the time (video, articles etc etc), you can attend live Q&A's where you can ask specific questions to the creator of the course and there will be a whole group of fellow students helping each other in a private forum. At $30 I think it represents a lot more value than a book.

But I'm a little bit bias
    Shayne Tilley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShayneTilley View Post
    At $30 I think it represents a lot more value than a book.

But I'm a little bit bias
    Can't see the forest from the tree's

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Yank View Post
    We'll stick with procedural techniques in this introductory course, but we will be making good use of include files to separate controller code from template code.
    How much database stuff will be covered? Basic CRUD?
    a new day, a new beginning
    never follow the crowd, the crowd is poor!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am intrested but how you accept payment can i pay with Western Union??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, not new to javascript but I'm no expert, the programming in Javascript Live became a tad overwhelming at the beginning of the second week. By the end of the second week I was letting it "flow over me" and attempting to listen at Fridays at 5pm (west coast) Q&A, and trying to get dinner/weekend ready. (my only complaint) However, there was javascript work for me a couple of days ago and, thanks to the course, I got through it with way less pain that I would have prior to the course. Online learning can be like learning through osmosis!! And I love it.

I'm all there for PHP Live. The course outline looks great! I'm signed up and looking for the forum.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looked over a lot of the reviews and I decided to take the plunge and signed up for PHP Live. Excited to see what Kevin has in store for us.

Now just need to wait for the 14th to roll around.. hehe

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just signed up to PHP live as I'm doing the Javascript Live course at the moment and feel that the format is excellent.

I'm interested in learning PHP just for an extra skill really but the main server side language that I use is ASP.NET so it would be great to have one of these courses on ASP.NET at some point. Does anyone know if there will be a course on ASP.NET soon?

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landmb24 View Post
    Does anyone know if there will be a course on ASP.NET soon?
    It won't be 'soon' but the idea has been tabled.