SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Arial Narrow' doesn't work on IE6/7 WinXP

It seems that IE6 and IE7 on WinXP doesn't render 'Arial Narrow'. However this works fine on Win7. Is there any solution for IE6/7 WinXP?

Code HTML4Strict:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>

<h1 style="font-family: 'Arial Narrow'">Apparently this is not Arial Narrow</h1>

</body>
    </html>

SitePoint Addict Zarin Denatrose's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue you're having is that the font isn't necessarily installed on the machine you're viewing it on. CSS font-family can only render fonts the computer viewing the page has installed unless you use @font-face to make the browser download and render a remote font file.
    Keep in mind, that though IE6+ do support @font-face, it's not particularly GOOD support, and the eot format is in my experience, fickle at best.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It works in M$IE6 for me on XP I know this is a stupid question; I assume you have the font installed? It doesn't help when you use a H1 though it will look quite a bit different due to inherited semantics. Something else is going on... with your machine.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, now I realize that Arial Narrow is not installed on WinXP by default. But it is on Win7.

P.S. I don't want to add CSS codes that are not related to this issue so I use H1 to make the text bigger.