SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question SQL Server 7 questions

i'm getting ready to change a static html site over to a db driven site. it has gotten to big and i'm tired of managing all the links. the site has many articles of different lengths (from around 1200 characters to 5000 characters) in several different categories. the db size is limited (200 mb) so i need to make the db pretty compact. here are the questions:

would it be better to have a table for each category or one large table with the articles and another table for category names? i do plan on setting up a search feature once i get this going to search the articles, i don't want to over-complicate that.

what would be a good setting for the text field that will hold the articles? 10,000 characters? 8,000 characters?

-- TIA

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that a 200mb limit sounds like a lot.... But MS SQL Server isn't exactly the most space-efficient way of storing data. I remember setting up a database in Access that took up about 400kb, and when converted to MS SQL Server, it was over 10 megabytes! The difference, of course, is that SQL Server is also storing indexes, permissions, logs, and so on.

The point here is that these things are taking away from your 200 Mb limit and you don't have much choice in the matter. So realistically, you may not want to go putting your text into the database.

As discussed recently, elsewhere on this site, there are better, more appropriate ways to store and index your site. Tossing the full text into the database is not one of them.
    ----Adopt-a-Sig----
    Your message here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks randem, interesting thread. but it appears to be a stalemate on which is more appropriate in the thread. i do see the merits of pointing to files rather than storing it in the db.

what i'm trying to do is make it so the client can add his own content rather than me updating all the time. i suppose i can write some code to save the text into html or whatever. would you include a "keywords" field in the db to help in searching (if the actual article was a seperate file)?