SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I find myself torn. When I design a WebSite I have very set views in my mind about how I want it to look. However, as we all know, making something look how you want it to is extremely difficult in HTML. But do I succumb to using CSS and DHTML and FLash or do I try and make my sites available to as many people as possible. I am torn. If you haven't already go and test your site with BOBBY www.cast.org/bobby
    ...and find out how accessible your websites really are. You should also get a copy of Amaya, the browser/editor created by the W3C. There are a lot of disabled people out there who are browing with alternative technologies - but do we care?

------------------
    Webmaster of Gib-Online Dot COM (or webmistress for that matter!)
    www.gib-online.com
    The Rock of Gibraltar on the WEB

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using CSS is a standard. Unfortunately there isn't a single browser on the market yet that supports all the standards. Netscape 6 will come close. IE will follow eventually because they will have to or lose market share. You can use CSS to make websites that are accessible in older browsers as well as new ones. You can make them accessible to anyone through CSS. So they may not win any design contests in version 2 or 3 browsers but they will be usable.

I recommend using a lot of fancy tricks like DHTML or Flash if you want your site to accessible to all. Though if you really need that then you can work it through if you plan properly.

You can go to www.webstandards.org and www.alistapart.com to read more about designing well designed sites that are accessible and fit in the standards. Both sites were started by Jeffrey Zeldman and have lots of good information.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited April 13, 2000).]

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been there before. The guy certainly knows what he wants. I think we should all go and sign the petition!

------------------
    Webmaster of Gib-Online Dot COM (or webmistress for that matter!)
    www.gib-online.com
    The Rock of Gibraltar on the WEB