SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

targeted e-mail marketing

Has anybody had any succes with targeted e-mail marketing? I am thinking of doing this and selling domain names. I have been told that you can buy email lists for about $1000 that contain very high leads.

Anybody had any experience of this?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

There are a few companies who do offer legitimate targeted opt-in lists that they sometimes resell or lease. You have to be careful and do some thorough research and ask a lot of questions when dealing with these "targeted" lists. There are quite a few companies that say they offer "targeted" and all they sell is thousands upon thousands of harvested, general email lists, which when you mail to them will be called Spam.

You'll usually find the ones that are legit are pretty expensive. Postmasterdirect.com for instance have been around for years. For a full listing of the companies you can check out :

Yahoo Results For Opt-In Email Lists

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to reach users in their inboxes, the best way to do it is to genuinely advertise in opt-in newsletters like SitePoint's. No one wants to receive solo advertisements and I suspect those results are exaggerated.

As abctracker said, while there are some legitimate companies that help you do this, many of them are selling you user's e-mails without their permission and/or a bunch of AOL or Hotmail accounts that users don't use.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mjames says, advertising in established e-newsletters can be very effective.

However, I assume you're wanting to build up your own list. Doing so is can be slow and tedious. Depending on where you get your leads, they could be high quality, or low quality bordering on spam, or plain spam. You could buy leads gradually, or you can rent a list (meaning you don't own the list after all).

In addition, you'll actually have to deliver content that the subscribers want. Even if you only plan to deliver a single ad (solo ad) it has to be of relevance to the people receiving it.

So, advertising in an already established newsletter can be good, because it means that your message will be seen in with some content that is already made by somebody else, etc.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend newsletter subscribers over plain opt-in recipients too ...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying email lists is not good as you can collect these emails yourself. There are a few sources like NNTP groups when you can be assured about the targeting quality. Take a look at the GlobalEmailer program

BTW, seems that domain selling business is too tight, is it?
    Website Promotional Software PagePromoter 5

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an idea for you,

Attach a chat button (see liveperson.com or clickchatsold.com) with your marketing emails. The users that are interested in your products can talk to you directly from the email. But I guess the catch is you have to be online all the time to answer questions and close out deals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you sell domain names, try partnering up with webmaster resource sites, hosting firms etc. Devise a mutually profitable or beneficial deal. It might do better than a permission campaign.