SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 404 page to do 301 redirect

Hi there - I'm going to preface this by saying that I know pretty much nothing about IIS or ASP.

I just reworked a site for a client who is on a shared Windows hosting account. There are many URLs that need to be redirected permanently (301) to their new counterparts (for search engine purposes). Not having access to IIS at all (in addition to not being familiar with it) and not knowing how to go about this (I'm used to .htaccess), here's what I was told by the host:

show a default 404 and use the 404 to handle the redirects… It works like this… Create a script that will check the URL (page that was being searched)… If the page that was being searched should now pull up another page, have the script redirect the visitor to the new page. A possible way to do this may be to have a table in the database with the old file paths and the new file paths. The script could check against that then send users to the correct location

I have no idea how to go about this... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    .angie

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just google:

classic ASP redirect

you'll get lots of samples like this

http://www.christopherjason.com/asp/redirect-users-asp/