SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will turning sessions off for spiders be regarded as cloaking?

i'm thinking about writing a script for my php pages that detects search engine spiders/bots in order to not give them sessions/cookies.

php set up to do so, will automatically include the session id in the url, which is great for sessioning non cookie people, so you can be sure you can session people whatever browser and setting they're using, but not good for search engines. (apparently most don't index sites that include information in the url after a "?")

searching for spider detection related information i realised that spider cloaking stuff was going to be usefull as in order to cloak a site from spiders you'd need to detect them in the first place.

then i realised what i'm trying to do is exactly that - cloaking. giving pages with a difference, depending on if it's a search engine spider/bot or a usual user.

even though the differences aren't as big as what most cloaker's intend - i'm just not intending to set a session for the spider.

so the php code will vary to a small degree (the session setting part) between what a spider sees and what a browser sees.

will this be seen by search engines as cloaking - therefore getting penalised or even illiminating me from being indexed? (which is the *exact* opposite of the whole point of what i'm trying to do )

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clients don't see PHP, it's server side.

If all you're doing is not logging them in a session then I'd not consider it cloaking, your page content will be the exact same to a browser as to the spider.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly what i wanted to hear thanks.