User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do Ad Networks suck?

I think they do lol

I checked out burst media today. I have upped my effort in gaining sponsors recently and within 1 week got one I figured my unsold space could go to burst.

SO I sign up and all looks cool.

I understand you would have to run "run of the network" ads first before you get any targetted offers. However the run of network choice is POOR.

I won't run pop ups. They annoy me and I know they annoy my visitors.

So I won't run pop ups. The choice after that is poor and the revenue even poorer. Its not even worth my time.

Anyone else think this?

Also does anyone know of any ad agencies purely set up to find publishers targtted campaigns obviously taking a cut?
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With burst you don't have to run any RON campaigns that you don't want to run.

I don't know of any major network that gives you targetted ads right off the bat. You're going to find roughly the same quality of ads no matter where you look.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ad networks are bad now. They didn't used to be bad, and in the future they may or may not be bad. The amount of revenue delivered to me via ad networks when computed as a dollar figure per unique visitor is quite literally 10% of what it was last year, and 1% of what it was 2 years ago. In other words, in each of the past 2 years I have watched my per-unique revenue drop by 90% each year.

I have not had any luck with targetted ads from Burst, which is the only network I know of that sells them. I have received 3-4 in the 3 years I have been part of the network. It depends 100% on your site's category and whether there are advertisers in that space. Sports seems devoid of targetted advertisers, yet I have heard of other categories where targetted ads show up frequently.

I have found success in this formula:

1) Build your site so that is well respected in your category/niche.

2) Figure out who your site's users are.

3) Figure out who would be interested in making a name for themselves to those users.

4) Let those merchants know, via targetted banners on your site, that you are accepting advertisers.

5) Sell them a monthly campaign -- just like a newspaper or magazine. It is something that they are familiar with. Take payment up front, and don't be afraid to walk away from business that isn't willing to do that -- or business who doesn't like your rates.

6) Stress both branding and performance in your campaign. In other words, let them know that they will be getting their ad in the face of X visitors per day, Y per month, and that is the benefit of the ad. And a bonus is that if one of those visitors is ready to purchase their product right now, the ad will allow that too. Too much emphasis on instant gratificiation/sales has pretty much killed the major players' expectations. It had no chance of succeeding because that's not how advertising works.

I have had several adverisers with me for over a year, and this month I am running 5 campaigns myself, one for a major hockey manufacturer. Those 5 campaigns represent 90% of this month's revenue, and they dwarf the amount I am able to make from ad networks.

We're in an era where the only advertisers who are willing to try internet advertising are those who the ad networks aren't willing to speak to because they consider them small fish. So use this fact to capitalize and grab their business.

Ralph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently sold some of my top-of-the-page banner real estate and I had to make some changes in how I deliver ads to prevent my advertiser from having his ads run side-wide when he didn't pay for that.

What I ended up doing was putting BURST!'s rich-media code (I use them for unsold inventory, as well) on my message boards because my advertiser didn't pay to advertise on that section of my site. I was using a third-party ad rotator/manager previously for my message boards as I do on my site and thus I didn't have to worry about popups/unders.

As a result of putting the rich media code on my message boards, I had those annoying popups on nearly every page I viewed -- in addition to Fastclick's one popunder per session. This is what I hate about BURST! -- you can't control how many popups/unders are served per session.

So I had to deselect all the popup/under campaigns on BURST! which effectively made me running only about half of the available campaigns, and that's putting it modestly. I guess it goes to show how little quality remains as far as good CPM banners.

Finally, one other thing that this switch brought to my attention is how some advertisers give you popups AND regular banners. By the time I deselected those to minimize annoyances for my visitors, I had just a few actual campaigns remaining. Pretty sad.

I've made way more money with Fastclick I've found, anyway. Thanks for giving me this opportunity to vent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. The market is bad right now. I am senting them more traffic than ever yet I'm making less than ever as well. I had to count on other ways to make up for it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CPA Ads

I agree, CPM is doing bad nowadays, however I think the best way to make money on the net is through trying and testing different CPA programs. Also, it wouldn't hurt to go out and try creating your own deals yourself. (IE. Getting companies to pay you $50 a month to advertise through 468x60 banners on your website).

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this thread, I revised my media kit and proactively did some work on attracting sponsors.

I have managed to sell $700 worth of ad space over the next 3 months and probably have sold about 40% of my ad space!
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, good work Cloughie! I too am trying to sell ad-space off my website as well. I like it a lot better because it's gauranteed cash and you get it right away (assuming you ask the advertisers to pay before-hand) so there is no waiting for payments or risk of affiliate program going under.