SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there, I'm trying to figure out a way to do an interesting mouseover effect. I know you can do an image swap between two images, but what I'm wanting to do is show a picture until an image is moused over and then change that image to a text blurb.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Hatton

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Build two <DIV> tags. Position them absolutely. In the DIV where your text is going you need to CLIP it to the same size as your image so it takes up the same space. Put them on top of each other and make the image visible. Make the text invisible. Onmouseover and onmouseout toggle the visibility of each.

A simpler way would to be to simply make graphics out of your text. This would also be visible in version 3 browsers and version 2 of Navigator.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got it as an image mouseover right now. My problem is that many visitors to my site have commented that the mouseover takes "uncomfortably long"... which is something I'm desensitised to since I'm on cablemodem and have all the mouseover images in my cache already.

I figured if I changed the image to text it would have a faster response with the mouseovers. If there are any other suggestions, please let me know!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you preloading your images? If not check on a good javascript site for a preloading tutorial. Then the images will be in your user's cache as well when they go to do the mouseover.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider