SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

javascript in xhtml strict

does anyone know of any sites that use (validating) xhtml strict, and also use javascript functions - rollovers etc?

(the strict dtd won't allow you to use the "name" attribute, in images, so I want to find out what the solution is to this problem)

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be using id instead of name in XHTML Strict.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and then getElementById. Example: document.getElementById("elementId").

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: javascript in xhtml strict

Originally posted by bekks
    does anyone know of any sites that use (validating) xhtml strict, and also use javascript functions - rollovers etc?
    Yep, mine.
    To make validation as clear as possible, push all CSS and javascript function code out to an external and leave only the class identifiers and function calls in the actual html doc.

(the strict dtd won't allow you to use the "name" attribute, in images, so I want to find out what the solution is to this problem)
    It has been variously noted that including the DTD will also kill the javascript for pages where those scripts are running/called.
    It was a toss up between the DTD and the entire navigation method for my site*, so the DTD bit the dust.

(*The site in question is a graphic design portfolio site, so please no comments about basic needs accessibility/useability.)

That is the *only* thing that stops my pages validating in strict 100% (no errors, no warnings).

That being said, my site kinda goes against the sentiment for what XHTML is meant to be for due to the fact that my site is 'driven' entirely by javascript.

I code to XHTML strict wherever possible as regardless of whether the site needs to be accessible, etc... or not, it still helps create 'forward-compatible' coding habits and crisp and clean page code.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink this worked, and validates

thanks for the replys. this is what I ended up using, it validates, displays the random image in compliant browsers, displays the default image in NN3, 4. (got this by testing for document.getElementById)

// arrays for the random stuff...

imgCt=whichPic.length

function whichone() {
    if (document.getElementById) {

if (document.images){
    randomNum = Math.floor ((Math.random() * imgCt))
    document.getElementById("thisone").src = whichPic[randomNum];
    document.getElementById("thisone").alt = whichAlt[randomNum]
    }
    }

else {
    whichone = ""
    }
    }