User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't find suitable directory

www.webtourney.net

It is a soccer tournament script that allows tournament officials easily build their tournament schedule and keep track of scores and stats. The plan is to develop similar programs for other sports as well in the future. I started with soccer because a client of mine (a youth soccer tournament) wanted to have a very basic version, and I decided to develop it further to steal people's money with...I mean sell

Anyway, I can't seem to find a category on DMOZ that is appropriate for it. Any help would be appreciated.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi sccr410,

I had a look and DMOZ does seem to have some categories that might fit the bill:

Top: Computers: Software: Shareware: Windows: Home and Hobby: Sports and Recreation

Top: Sports: Software: Freeware

Top: Sports: Software

I know that it is not exactly what you want, but given that there is no exact category it is good to get into DMOZ under one of these for the meantime.

The only problem is that none of the categories has an editor and so you might be in for a very long wait. However, the first and second are a fairly niche and have only a few listings at the moment and so you might be able to apply as an editor. Contrary to popular views, DMOZ will allow you to become an editor if you do want to use it to get your own site listed. But, and this is a big but, you must be very clear in saying that you do have a personal vested/business interest in the section. They will also watch to see if you are rejecting potential competitors.

By the way, do not worry too much if the categories do not match your exact requirements, they would seem, at least to my untrained eye, to be good enough for the meanwhile. You really want to get on to DMOZ first. As an editor you can then suggest new categories.

Anyway, good luck.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only one problem: I don't think I want to be an editor. However, I will look into it a little.

Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated