SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google and weblogs

I recently subscribed to chinwag's net marketing mailing list and a lot of the talk over there is about weblog's and how they can motivate Google to update your sites content faster, some even went as far to say that this can influence your ranking.

It's reasonably well known that if you update pages on your site on a weekly or shorter basis Googlebot will visit far more frequently - every few days as opposed to once a month.
    Google once displayed a Fresh! tag next to your site details (i think they've stopped that now) for these sites.

Also Google have a separate system they use for News portals like BBC, CNN etc. that places these sites latest stories above traditional listings example here

My understanding of sites that achieve a Fresh! status on Google (weblogs for example) is that there ranking doesn't change (except with the monthly update of coarse) and that the only benefit you get is your sites content (text, alt tags etc.) are updated more frequently on the Google update servers (www3.google.com www2.google.com) - which is useful as far as testing and optimising keyword combinations is conserned.

Here's an example of this:

Latest Google update:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=weblog

Latest version of Google3
    http://www3.google.com/search?q=weblog
    Last edited by Chas; Jul 11, 2002 at 09:02.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it doesn't influence your ranking. Google doesn't take three weeks between a crawl and an update for the hell of it. It takes awhile to analyze the interconnectedness of billions of pages.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's people's view's on keyword density with Google as far as optimising keyword combinations goes in weblogs (regularly updated pages)?
    Last edited by Chas; Jul 11, 2002 at 09:34.