User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choosing a domain name

I'm working on a new project with 2 other people and we are having difficulty selecting a domain name. We currently have 5 that we all like but cannot total agree on the final name. Has anybody dealt with a situation like this and have tips to selecting a domain name via surveys, market research, etc?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two ways to look at choosing the perfect domain name. You either choose a domain name that is keyworded or one that represents your brand. Ideally you get one
    that is both your brand and keyworded.

http://www.newbielifeline.com/domainswipe.pdf
    Sheila Atwood
    http://targetedemailmarketingoncrack.com

"Live out of your imagination, not your history." Covey

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think go with your Brand or Iteam, as on both you can get choice to creat branding your company name

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you have two choices.

1. Keyword domain name.

This is a phrase that is searched X times per month. These are almost always taken if it's an exact match of a highly searched phrase.

2. Branded domain name

This is a way to build a unique identity and brand. Most important things with the domain name is if it's easy to spell (try the radio test - if you were to advertise your website via the radio can people easily find it themselves?)

Let me know what you think

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeline View Post
    There are two ways to look at choosing the perfect domain name. You either choose a domain name that is keyworded or one that represents your brand. Ideally you get one
    that is both your brand and keyworded.
    There is another way to look at it - where do you plan to get traffic from?

If you plan to advertise offline, people will be trying to remember what they heard on the radio or they might by typing what they see in a flyer. Make sure your domain (or a domain auto forwarding to your domain) is...

A) easy to remember
    B) easy to spell, hard to misspell (double ss in the middle of misspell would make for problems)
    C) ends in .com (Yes, even when poeople see .info or .ca or .biz in front of their eyes, they often type in .com)
    D) short

If you plan to get traffic from the searh engines, then it pays to have keywords in your domain name. I have seen websites with very poor SEO and almost no backlinks rank #1 for local searches when the domain exactly matches the query - with no hyphens.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the great info so far.

Our site has to do with the travel industry by the way.

Out of the 5 current domains in the running.
    2 - contain a keyword "trip"
    2 - have no keywords and would be conpletely branded names
    1 - Is a short phrase which describes the site but no real key word value.

I'm personally leaning to one of the keyworded domains. My associates are leaning towards a branded name. I'm nervous about the branded name they like because it could be misconstrued. It contains a word common to a specific form of vacation but out site doesnt even cater to that form but most others. I guess you could compare it to say CouchSurfing has nothing to do with actual surfing.

Is it risky to share possible domain names to survey people if you have the domains registered already?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you already have the domain registered, I don't see the risk in sharing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use googles KeywordToolExternal to find out the traffic your proposed words will attract. It may even give you ideas for other words to use.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you domains are registered they are yours. No risk in sharing for a survey. In fact I survey a lot. I don't always know what is needed and wanted.
    Sheila Atwood
    http://targetedemailmarketingoncrack.com

"Live out of your imagination, not your history." Covey

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of them reveals too much of the business plan, plus its the least likely one to be picked so ill withhold that one. Here are the other 4.

TripTuna.com
    TripPunk.com
    TurfStomp.com
    TunaSafari.com

Feedback is appreciated.

Google's keyword tool was interesting and helpful. "Travel" seems like the biggest buzz word but it sure is hard finding any unregistered, worth while, domains with travel in it.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brohar View Post
    One of them reveals too much of the business plan, plus its the least likely one to be picked so ill withhold that one. Here are the other 4.

TripTuna.com
    TripPunk.com
    TurfStomp.com
    TunaSafari.com

Feedback is appreciated.
    I'd go for one of the last two, probably tunasafari unless it really is specifically about walking holidays.

The first two don't (ahem) trip off the tongue as nicely, you need a jarring glottal stop in the middle whereas the last two just flow better from one word into the next. Tunasafari lends itself nicely to branding, and because it's unlikely to describe the actual travel package (which turfstomp sounds like it should), it gives you more freedom to offer a wider range of packages under the one name.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like TunaSafari.com as long as it involves khaki clothing, an elephant gun and a boat.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerito View Post
    I like TunaSafari.com as long as it involves khaki clothing, an elephant gun and a boat.
    Haha, would make for a entertaining logo!
    I agree TunaSafari.com flows well and lends itself to branding well but our site will have nothing to do with safaris... so potential problem or will people understand..?? Also, is it worth giving up the Keyword for a good brand?

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brohar View Post
    I agree TunaSafari.com flows well and lends itself to branding well but our site will have nothing to do with safaris... so potential problem or will people understand..?
    I don't think that's a problem. Do people think that when they buy books over the internet that they get shipped from the Brazilian rainforests? Do people think the most important thing on Facebook is a portrait gallery?

"Tuna Safari" is a great brand for many reasons - it's cute, it's quirky, it's easy to remember - but those reasons don't include it being descriptive of the product or service. "Tuna" and "safari" are two words that just don't go together - people aren't going to think that you are offering overland trips through Africa to see a saltwater fish. (Anybody who does think that probably isn't someone you want to do business with)

Also, is it worth giving up the Keyword for a good brand?
    Absolutely. You might get a tiny tiny benefit from having a descriptive keyword in your branding and domain, but you'll get much more benefit from having a good brand that people connect with and remember and go back to. The content is where you describe your products and your services - in the text, in the headings, in the navigation, in the structure, in the meta description, in the inbound link context. If you try to keyword-stuff the brand and domain name as well, it starts to look uninspiring, robotic and even spammy. Let the brand be creative. Let the brand live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remembered i had so many domains and i really needed a new domain so i was thinking of a suggestion tool from domain registrar who can suggest some names on behalf of my suggestion names and there was fantastic website which has this tool hmmm it was http://nameboy.com/ also godaddy supports this.

Just try searching with different words and you will get one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my tuppence worth but I think the keyword 'trip' is too competitive to be of any real use, especially if you don't combine it with any other keywords. So I'd go for the brand, TunaSafari I like....

Ste

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been working on travel websites and picking domain names for almost 15 years now.

It's a crowded field out there as far as travel keywords is concerned. I often spend the months during the design phase generating keyword combinations. I ususally have a doodle sheet full of dozens of possible names.

For a commercial site, you'll definately want to get a .com name, which it looks like you have done.

Surveys are definately good - you can put them on the site (but that would already have an associated domain name, right? ) or your Facebook or other social networking site.

Ask your friends informally or others at work.

Also, if you think you might want a domain name, go ahead and register for the minimum time. Most are $10 a year or even less. Well worth the investment down the road if it leads to good branding.

For my own site <snip/> (which is a travel portal), I tried to work in the word trip. I picked a .info name, but that was a mistake. In the end, I took out my refernece to trip and settled on the .com domain.

FWIW, I like the TunaSarfari.com.

Best of luck!
    rich
    <snip/>
    Last edited by Mittineague; May 8, 2010 at 11:39. Reason: Please wait until you get your signature for your links

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this thread has alot of great information. One thing i heard was the google external keyword tool

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

Find which keywords people are searching for and try to choose a domain name that is 1.) easy to remember and 2.)will go hand in hand with high traffic domain keywords

heres a great article on choosing a domain name
    http://backlinkreviews.com/2010/03/0...n-name-in-seo/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked TunaSafari.com name as its catchy and I remembered it in first time. Its short also and trendy...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate all the feedback and information, its given me some new perspectives on the topic. The search continues although TunaSafari has grown on me quickly and just maybe the final choice.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remember whatever name you choose, it'll pay dividends to ensure you can get the TLD's associated with it (COM / NET / ORG) - if you can get all three you'll be better off for protecting your brands identity. I agree that TunaSafari has a nice ring to it, but I also would say that you should make sure the branding matches what people expect to find on the website. What you currently have makes me think your site is fish or travel related, if it's not accurate to what you need, perhaps try getting out the dictionary and finding synonyms for the kind of site you're providing. For instance, if your site is to-do with travel, you don't have to have Safari, you could have explorer, skirmish (etc). There's more than one way to describe something, that's part of the key in working out a domain name, something people can spell and understand which explains the sites purpose without question. Just make it relevant to whatever you're providing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all of you are confusing for the domain name.Why not choose the a specific name which is related to your business.
    <snip>
    Last edited by spikeZ; May 9, 2010 at 07:46. Reason: Wait for your sig to be enabled - 90days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use your network and send out a poll. It's not about what you want... it's about what your customers want.

Personally I would go with the easiest one to type in/remember/brandability.

TripPunk narrows down your target market to those that relate to punks. Similar to safari because some will think your site is focused on Africa.

Turfstomp just doesn't look proper or sound like a catchy name.

TripTuna.com would be my choice because it's the shortest, easiest to remember, and looks good.
    UNLIMITED Domains - UNLIMITED Disk Space - UNLIMITED Bandwidth
    *Black Friday - Website Hosting Deal of The Year - 50% OFF!

SitePoint Member EntrepreneurKing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i own the name TurboTrips.com i look at as a meaning of fast booking... i have yet to launch site but i thought it was catchy and the logo is fantastic

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some tips on selecting a domain name http://www.small-business-software.n...e-a-domain.htm

Should help you sort it out!