SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi everyone! sometimes my browser loads incomplete pages. i get a normal looking page but with a "</bod" at the end of the page.

it seems as though i'm not loading the "</body>" or any other tag after that.

is this a browser problem or something to do with the server?

i'm using ie5 and a netscape unix server.

thanks in advanced!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the original posting of this message get deleted??? I know I answered this around 4:30 this morning. Anyways Post the address to the source code so we can take a look at it.

Also the only tag you should have after </body> is </html>.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, the original posting got deleted because i had it cross-posted...sorry...

this problem doesn't occur on the same page each time or in the same place on the page.

sometimes, the incomplete page stops loading midway. such as leaving off in the middle of a table, where the last line would be something like "</td"

[This message has been edited by cow (edited March 23, 2000).]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like your having a problem with the browser timing out while trying download the page from the server. What server are you on? It my be an underpowered machine for the amount of traffic it is getting. Most free sites suffer from this on occasions because they offer hundreds of thousands of sites on their machines. If a site becomes popular it will drain resources that would otherwise be available to other sites.
    Try to download your page with images turned off and see if all the text loads properly. If it does then you are most likely suffering from this problem. Check other sites on the same system if you can and see if they have the same problems.
    Other things you can try are:
    1. Double checking all linked files for syntax and correctness. This includes SSI, scripts and style sheets.
    2. Simplify your design and make sure each individual part (i.e. header, footer, body) can stand on its own before constructing the whole page.
    3. Once you have your design set then use templates for subsequent pages to lower the chance for errors.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i tried to turn the images off, but i am still encountering the same problems.

i built the site with templates as you described... do you think a problem could be occuring in the transfer process?

the pages are residing on a unix netscape fasttrack enterprise server. i am using ie5 with a lan connection.

here is one of the links where i'm experiencing the problems: http://207.228.21.81/resorts/lakeside/reservations.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uh, oh... i think i found the problem. i went on to my unix box to look at the actual html files and i saw that they have a "^M" at the end of each line.

i was reading an article on bignosebird.com that said files with that character at the end of the line would most likely not run. the article was referring to scripts, but an html file is no different...

this problem probably stems from my transfer method. i'm not using an ftp program, but rather going at it in a roundabout way: i'm copying files to a temp directory through a unix session emulator in win98, then i'm copying those files to the web server! yeah, it seems ridiculous, but we haven't had a chance to get our ftp enabled...

thanks for all your help though!

[This message has been edited by cow (edited March 23, 2000).]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just loaded all the pages. Every page loaded in under 10 seconds. I had no problems with any of the images or the code.

I am currently using IE4.01 with a 100 MB Lan connection and a 768K ATM Internet connection.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider