SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeking Open-Source Visio-like Design Tool

I'm using a Mac and am looking for an open-source tool that I can do Visio-esque type things. (Don't need a CASE tool per se, but it would be able to draw things like you can easily do in Visio - without the Microsoft and proprietary hangover!)

Specifically, I'm looking for a way to draw arrows that "snap to" boxes/twxt boxes so I can visually show traceability between things.

Hope that makes sense?!

TomTees

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's no open source tools that I'm aware of that have the Snap functionality... the closest product I can think of to accomplishing the same style of thing is Dia.

http://projects.gnome.org/dia/

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for something to only cover database design, MySQL Workbench does a decent job.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Flow View Post
    If you're looking for something to only cover database design, MySQL Workbench does a decent job.
    I wasn't impressed with Workbench.

Little things like it drawing relationship lines from "dead-center" of one table to another versus drawing the line next to the relevant key is annoying.

No, I was just looking for a general purpose drawing tool that would allow me to show relationships between text-boxes/shapes and that has lines that "snap" to the objects to speed up drawing.

My specific application is trying to draw out how problems map to needs map to requirements, etc.

TomTees

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomTees View Post
    I wasn't impressed with Workbench.

Little things like it drawing relationship lines from "dead-center" of one table to another versus drawing the line next to the relevant key is annoying.

No, I was just looking for a general purpose drawing tool that would allow me to show relationships between text-boxes/shapes and that has lines that "snap" to the objects to speed up drawing.

My specific application is trying to draw out how problems map to needs map to requirements, etc.

TomTees
    Hello try here: http://case-tools.org/mac.html (mac) and here http://case-tools.org/multi_platform.html (multi platform)

hope find this useful.
    regards