SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Access to My SQL

I have recently changed my Reseller account and in the process of changing all my domains across. I used to have a database folder on my old host where I put my access files in.

Now I have been told that I have to upload my database in a different way, to which I have no knowledge of.

Ive gone through the exercise of ringing them up but they just keep sending me a web address and saying , erm well i can't helpyou anymore http://www.hosteurope-support.com/mysql.html

Is it better to connect to Connecting to MySQL via SSH Telnet? or

Connecting to MySQL using MyODBC and an ODBC database

You can tie a database written in a PC based database package that is ODBC compliant - Microsoft Access, FoxBase and Dbase Pro are all ODBC compliant. To integrate this connection you will require drivers that convert the communication - you can download these drivers from Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows NT from http://www.mysql.com/downloads/api-myodbc.html.

The settings that you will require are:-

Hostname - Your domain name
    MySQL database name - the name of the database
    Username - database username
    Password - database password
    Port - 3306

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    http://www.hosteurope-support.com/mysql.html seems to be saying (i didn't read it very carefully) that mysql can get at data stored in msaccess databases via some odbc drivers

what's your programming language? php?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out dbtools
    http://www.dbtools.com.br/

it lets you export to mysql from access. it will generate the necessary SQL for you to then pass to Mysql on the server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm using ASP

I really need to get my head around how it finally connects to my website , ive now managed to connect via the ODBC drivers i downlaoded from mysql and it says everythings ok when i test connection button, so i'm getting somewhere, i need to upload the database to the server now , any ideas ?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    sorry, no idea

the docs you got with the odbc didn't say which directory to upload your mdb file into? try putting it in your web root, or ask your host where your mysql files are, maybe it has to be in the same directory as those

rudy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all you've got is table data and you can access the MySQL server from your computer, then all you have to do is export it from Access:

1) Install MyODBC (the ODBC driver for MySQL)
    2) Create an ODBC connection for the host's MySQL server.
    3) Open your mdb files in Access.
    4) Highlight the table you want to transfer to MySQL and choose File -> Export.
    5) In the "Save as type" dropdown, select "ODBC Databases()" - it's probably the last item in the dropdown.
    6) Select your MySQL ODBC entery.

Although I've never used MySQL, that should work in theory. The only hangup would be if your host doesn't allow everyone in the world (the internet) to see the IP of the MySQL server (which is certainly possible).

Edit:

err...I just reread the post, and I realize that you've already done some of what I said. You should be able to start at step #3 in the instructions above and everything should work fine.

Hope that helps,
    Goof
    Last edited by Goof; Jul 11, 2002 at 13:31.
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers Goof , i have now got as far as no. 6 , the host company now say that they can set up the database for you , so here goes technical support again, wish me luck