SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read and experienced just enough to know that PCs and Macs display pages somewhat differently, some browsers may cause visible differences and different monitors display differently depending on resolution, etc.

Before I get too far into the design, would like some general tips on best way to create pages so they look good on all and create graphics so they look good on all (what kind of things do I need to keep in mind for palette settings, dpi, font sizes, etc.?).

Specifically, if I want a banner (logo, nav bar, etc.) across the top, how do I make sure the right side, for example, doesn't get cut off on a smaller monitor (or one with lower resolution) but doesn't leave a lot of ugly empty space on the right on a larger monitor (or one with higher resolution)? Is there even a way to do this? I understand % for width and height in the image tags is not the way to go.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want the site to look good on all PC's then design for a 640 X 480 resolution and in your graphics only use the 216 color-safe pallette.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok,

I will tell you what I use and so maybe you will see it better:

First, my Hardware Arsenal starts with a Windows Machine, TAT 200 MHz 4GB Pentium I, and a Macintosh, Performa 200 MHz 6GB with graphic Card and all.

I use the Mac for designing, because the Windows Machine craps-up your images and designs. The Windows is for Code and Syntax, Browser compatibility checks and all that.

The Software Stock begins with some good designing apps. like PhotoShop (inexcusable must-have), PhotoDeluxe for Picture Editing, Image Compressor and numerous CD-ROMís of Pictures, GIF and all that.
    The Windows Machine has all the Programming gadgets, Evrosoft's HTML Editor (THE BEST HTML), JavaScript Compiler, DHTML Libraries, XML and Tidy Syntax Checker, Newest Browsers (always get the newest browsers) CSS Libraries and so on..............

IE will always be different then NS because sometimes even the HTML must be different then for the other or codes that only apply for either browsers like Body or Table Aligning (what a mess, sometimes!!) will be different.

I would like to tell you some more tips and tricks but, I think you have enough for the start.
    Yes you are right, the pages will always look different with other comps and monitors, that is why I always check my pages in either computers.

hope this helps,

------------------
    Morpheos - Web Developer
    Digital Works Web Design/Development
    morpheos@carib.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice. I've been checking out some of the other topics and stuff from the archives, which has also helped. Glad to have easy access to more experiences webmasters!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, as u probably know, some browsers ex:Netscape wont allow certain images as well. So use more gif's then bmp's which i was told arent compatable with netscape... I dunno.. <shrugz>

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't be using BMP files anyways because they are at least 5 times the size of an equivalant gif file.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider