User Tag List

Thread: Site Load Time

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I've been working to trim the load time of my site for the last few days and the best time I manged is 15 seconds on a 56k modem. Cn anyone offer any further suggestions that will decrease my sites load time?
    http://www.macosplanet.com

TIA,
    Chad

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well the first thing I would do, if not to save your sanity is to get rid of at least half of your tables. You've got over 14 tables on this page, and from what I can see, you only really need 2 or three (OK one or two more which would be one row, one cell tables surrounding your MAC OS PLANET to get those three colors if you really want them)

What HTML editor are you using? This looks a bit like a lot of the extraneous stuff Frontpage puts out. If you're using something like FrontPage or another WYSIWYG, you'll want to go into the code itself and get rid of most of the extraneous code. For example:

It seems like around just about every piece of text, there is a <font color=black> tag. That should be the standard, and I don't know why you would need them. There are also a number of occasions where there is a <FONT> tag around an image (around the textlogo2.gif for example). WHY??? There are a few occasions where there is a <FONT> tag around a break only. Again WHY???

I don't know what the spacer tag will get you, but a   should get you the same effect and since it isn't a tag, that should get you a bit more time.

You're missing a </P> on the <P> right after the iBook section. That'll throw a big monkey wrench on some browsers.

You've got a couple of div= tags in there which doesn't really seem to have a purpose. Removing them would probably help too.

That's what I found on a quick glance. I would also take the code through an HTML validator or code cleaner to try and make it more readable for you. FirstPage 2000 has some nice tools for this. (If I had read this at home where I have firstpage installed, I probably could have found some more tweaks to make)

The more uneeded. HTML tags you've got on your page, the longer it's going to take you to load. Try to work on getting rid of a majority of those tables and I think it'll load much faster.

Hope this gives you somewhere to start....

------------------
    Dave Maxwell
    www.keystonecapitalchorus.org
    www.trademarkquartet.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It loaded incredibly slow on my 56k modem.. Take Dave's advice, reduce the amount of tables, it would greatly increase the load time..