SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Coding a Layout - no idea where to start!!!

Hey all-

I'm working on a VIP right now. (very important project).

I know exactly what look I'm going for and exactly what the layout should be - but I'm clueless as to what would be the best way to code the site. I'm sure that there are endless possibilites, but I'm looking for something clean, efficient, fast, and easy to manage.

Here's what I want it to look like: CLICK HERE

That's not an image of the final project, just an example. I don't need the up/down scrollbar either.

Here's what the layout will be: CLICK HERE

It's going to be a bunch of boxes, all with 1px borders. I'm not looking for full out code, just an IDEA or something that will work. I'm having trouble with the 1px border and the 3px gap between each box.

Like I said I want the code to be clean and fairly compatible. I'm all for using CSS, but I'm not looking for 5 nested tables.

I appreciate ANY and ALL help! I really do!

THANKS!!
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WoW! a chance to help my idol

Look at this expertly hand coded beautiful example of web design (note the cute kids too) ...

http://www.yourwebbuddy.com/psp/

Expand and shrink the window, the boxes stay separated. The 1px border can be added by a tag in the style sheet. It's only one table nested within another.

It would work for what you're trying to do I think. Just look at the source code (remember it's hand-coded) You (and only you) can steal my code in exchange for not entering the next trading post logo contest.

Palmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try a hybrid css/table design I think, all CSS could be alright too I guess, i still like using tables though

But if you're going all out for compatability, maybe a few tables would be a good idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the cleanest and most efficient in my book would be to use a css/table based layout... using only 1 table for the middle sections structure

use divs for all the inline stuff such as the header, navigation/footers and use the one table to create the columns, its still far more efficient/easyer creating columns with tables in my opinion, and then use css/divs for the content areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that site going to be fixed width? If so, it's the ideal candidate for a pure CSS layout - in fact you might even be able to get it working in NS4 as well without having to hide all of the styles. Even if you do go for a hybrid table I strongly suggest using a div for all of the box elements on the site - doing so will make it stupidly easy to sort out the backgrounds, borders and padded edges around the content.

Why don't you have a go at it with pure CSS and if you get stuck or find it isn't going to be possible switch back to nasty ol' tables? There's no time like the present after all If you decide to do this marking up the page becomes a trivial excercise - just define a div for each "box" and give it an ID, then add the markup for the contents of each div.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is always Netscape.

* waits in his tea cup with an umbrella *

Flawless
    ---=| If you're going to buy a pet - get a Shetland Giraffe |=---

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, thanks guys for the great responses!

Yes, the site is going to be a fixed width: 760.

Palmer: If I decide to go with HTML, I'll take a look at your code - thanks!

pl@ and iTec: Thanks guys! I figured that that would be a safe way to go, especially because I am fairly good with tables and I like to use them.

skunk: You introduced quite the idea for me - I've never tried an all CSS layout. I think I'll spend some time learning about how it's done and see how it works. Is all CSS really that much better than using HTML and CSS? I want something that is extremely easy to template.

Thanks!
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't worry about the ALL css template things... I havn't seen a good one yet they all have dotted lines and are squared off everywhere

Just do the main bit as a table, the inner tables can be individual tables and you can define some CSS borders I guess to reduce the need for another table (unless you wanted rounded corners or somthing fancy)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a coding point of view, here's why CSS is superior to tables for layout:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~cs1spw/nemesis/nights.php

Take a look at the source code for that page (in particular the stuff in between <body> and </body>). It's beautifully simple - there are four divs, called "header, "content", "navbar" and "footer". Not a table tag in site and as a result the markup is almost as readable as the rendered HTML. Editing the code is a pleasure compared to the unpleasantness of having to wade through lines and lines of table code.

There are plenty of well designed CSS sites out there if you care to look for them - when you realise that any div in CSS can have a background image with complete control over where in the div it is positioned (and how it is tiled) you can create some very snazzy visual effects. Unfortunately I suck at design so neither of my CSS sites exhibit this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Adam, here's a place to find the code for an all css table layout. I think it's what you're looking for.
    http://www.glish.com/css/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Skunk
    http://www.bath.ac.uk/~cs1spw/nemesis/nights.php

Take a look at the source code for that page (in particular the stuff in between <body> and </body>).
    I'm using IE 6 on WinXP, and nothing happens when I do View > Source
    The Internet is prettier on a Mac.

Shiver me timbers!! anthony_irl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by psychedelic

I'm using IE 6 on WinXP, and nothing happens when I do View > Source
    Same here. I put view-source: in the location bar before the address and it displayed then.

BTW swimm I'm doing the exact same thing at the moment and was wondering which way to go myself. I think Im gonna use a hybrid of no more than 2 tables and divs.
    Last edited by anthony_irl; Jul 10, 2002 at 05:40.
    Anthony - How's tings?

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
    Contact me by: PM Email NEW! Carrier Pigeon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I'm going to have to do quite a bit of messing around before I find which route I want to take. All CSS looks like a nice way to go, if I can figure out. Thanks for the great link, Palmer.

Can CSS layouts do as much as table layouts? For example, could www.sitepoint.com be done in CSS and look exactly the same?
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be pretty close although I don't know if it would be identical.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by swimm5001
    Can CSS layouts do as much as table layouts? For example, could www.sitepoint.com be done in CSS and look exactly the same?
    see for yourself :0)

http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/379/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a perfect world yes. You'd of course run into older browsers that would be clueless. Some browser sniffer code could redirect those relicts to a table based layout or a page that suggests it's time for a new browser.

I believe we're at the point in design where we can safely assume most people are using version 4 browsers and later. All of those support CSS although there might be a debate about that statement with Netscape 4.7

Palmer