SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Image Alt Tags

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ran my site though one of those online html validators and got a page full of errors because I didn't set an alt tag for all of my spacer.gifs. Will doing this make any difference at all other than making the validator bot happy? Thks.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all images, using ALT tags makes a difference, but if you're specifically referring to using ALT text on your spacer gifs, might as well since you get less errors that way

Hope it helps,
    Sparkie

[This message has been edited by Sparkie (edited March 15, 2000).]

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using ALT TAGS on all of your images can help you with some search engine rankings and hurt you on other search engines. Maybe that validator is trying to get you to max out your search engine possibilties, but doesn't realize that your images are just spacers. I wouldn't use alt tags on spacers.

Mike

------------------
    Street Bikers United protecting the rights of motorcyclists worldwide.
    Cosmic Custom Airbrush - Hawaii's premier airbrush studio.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I read somewhere that the use of ALT tags helps with load speeds, but when I have mentioned it a few times, I get the "who are you kidding?" look. After I read that, I used ALT=" " for the spacer.gifs. Can anybody confirm or deny the use of ALT tags as they relate to load time?

------------------
    Ted

DSM Trader

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alt tags do not help speed load times. Height and width tags help speed load time. Alt image tags are helpful for those people who surf the internet without access to the images. Some people turn off their images, some use Lynx and still others (most important group in my book) are blind. Use the alt tags to improve the accessibility of your site by the sight-impaired for they are they only who would love to see your graphics but would never be able to. A nice description would help them immensely. Alt tags on spacer gifs are not needed.

If you don't think it is hard to surf the web without graphics, I can suggest that you turn off graphics for day and visit all your favorite sites. I also suggest you visit www.skinz.org because that site is almost impossible to use properly without graphics.

If you want to read more about the Web and Accessibility check out "Access Everyone Wins" at http://www.alistapart.com/stories/access/.

-----------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited March 17, 2000).]