SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Listing in search engines .

I believe that there are different ways to list your website on search engines. Would you please provide me with more information about this topic ?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Marwan,

To start, you should have your URL on this posting. When Google and other search engines send their spiders, they often find new websites by following links from other website.

For example, Googles must be crawling SitePoint quite often since it introduces fresh content regularly. When Google spiders Sitepoint, it will find this posting and follow all the links it has, including the link in my signature.

You should also post on other appropriate websites short articles which contain your keywords or key phrases. A link to your site should be included in the article and the link should have your main keyword:
    i.e. <a href="www.bullseye-promotions">website optimization</a>--if you're about website optimization. This should not only help crawlers sent by Google and other search engines find your site, but also help boost your site's ranking.

That is probably the fastest way to get indexed on the search engines which crawls the web: Get a link on sites that refresh their contents often.

Then, you manually submit to the major search engines (which I am sure you know).

And you submit to the other smaller search engines by using a good submission program.

Take care,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by SheriffG.Guirguis

When Google spiders Sitepoint, it will find this posting and follow all the links it has, including the link in my signature.
    Are Google spiders going past the question mark in dynamic links these days?
    the bottoms of my shoes are clean from walking in the rain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by pony

Are Google spiders going past the question mark in dynamic links these days?
    They weren't last I heard. Although I haven't checked for a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand Vbulletin threads are not spidered unless you install a special hack provided by vbulletin.org - which I do not believe Sitepoint has. Still, the principle of getting your link out there to be spidered is sound.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google has always spidered pages with query strings.

Its not the query string that stops them from fully spidering these forums, it's the session management, required cookies, etc.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again,

Google supports: PDF, dynamic pages, ASP, JsP, CFM, and PHP. All of these pages can be crawled and indexed on Google and it will index pages with the ? mark.

I must admit I hadnít observed that this posting was a dynamic page when I posted my first message. At 3am, I can barely see my computer

I also saw no evidence that Google indexes SitePoint postings. But I did see another search engine listing SitePoint postings as pages that have incoming links to my site. Iím sorry, I donít remember the search engine that did it; It was a while back with another website I used to have.

Anyhow, to better help your positioning, you better have incoming links to your website on web pages that have very little outgoing links. A web page that links to your site and has one link on it (going to your site) will have more influence on your ranking than an equally important page that has 100 other links to other sites. Thatís why I like articles. On your article, there is only your link (going to your site) and a few others to navigate the site the article is on. But you usually wonít have 50 other links linking to other websites.

If you can get blogs linking to your site, this would be the fastest way to get yourself on Google and other search engines. Google spiders blogs quite often as their content changes all the time.

Anyhow, I hope this helped.

Sheriff Guirguis