SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could please tell me how I can get my web-site to display the text before the graphics load. I already set all the tables height and widths, same for the images but I have not had any luck. Any help would be appreciated.
    http://www.macosplanet.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

my understanding is:

The browser 'interprets' html; therefore, it loads/displays as a fifo (first in first out). In other words, if your image code is physically located first on the page (as in the top), it is loaded & displayed first.
    You could try putting some or all of your text in a *.js file (var text1 = "some text"; ) and then include it (<script language='javascript' src='somename.js'></script> ) Then you can write it on your page (<script language='javascript'> document.write(text1)</script> ) But I don't know if that will give you the effect you want.

Vinny

------------------
    GrassBlade: cut&paste javascript

[This message has been edited by Vincent Puglia (edited March 05, 2000).]

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your looking to have your page load faster the easiest thing you can do is simplify your code. For just your index page HTML code its almost 60K in size. At about 3K bytes per second that in itself can be 20 seconds of load time. Not to mention your graphics. I just did a rough calculation of the download size of your index page. With the 59K in HTML code and the 70K in images your talking 129K in download size. Divide that by 2880 bytes (28,8K modem at max speed without compression). Now your talking ga 45 second download time. Couple that with the fact that everything is in tables which has to be completely finished downloading before its rendered and you have visitors looking at a blank screen for about 30 to 45 seconds. If I hadn't been going to look at your page per your request here or I was an average internet user I would have left long before then.

Compare that with the Webmaster Resources site where the index page is half the size of yours and has much smaller and fewer gifs. The entire download for Webmaster Resource is less than 60K or half your HTML files size. This page will load in 15 to 25 seconds at current modem speeds. That is about the limit most will wait.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider