SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not exactly sure where I saw this, but recently I visited a site that was able to hide the source of their pages. Do you have any idea of how they did that?

Eugene.
    http://www.interprosolution.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm I dont think this is possible. You can do things to prevent people from viewing it. For example: Use frames and in one frame use javascript to check whether its in your frame, if its not have it reload the page so that it is in your frame. Them use javascript again so that if they rightclick on your page they dont get the standard menu. But the page source is what is read by the browser so if your browser can see it usually you can too.

Chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was exactly what I thought before. There is got to be HTML code sent to the browser in order to view anything. But I saw a site that was able to hide it. Maybe there is some trick to accomplish that.

Eugene.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello,

no this is not true. OF COURSE THIS IS POSSIBLE !!

i have written a code that way. It tells the browser in a hidden way to open a certain location. The path to this file is hidden or redirected.
    I dont know the code off-hand but as i said this is totally possible.

DeutscheBank.com had it but not anymore, you could have got it from there.

well i hope this helps,

------------------
    Morpheos
    http://www.carib.com/digitalworks

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it by javascript.. it will prevent people from getting the right-clicked menu that lets them view the source code. I have a good example of this on a site I designed:
    http://saint.simplenet.com/iswebpage

Right-clicking anywhere on this page will cause a warning, left-clicking elsewhere will cause a browser crash (netscape or IE), even using keyboard shortcuts to view the source will make the browser crash.. so it's good protection for the most part.

Sparkie
    www.pawsitronic.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except, of course, if I right clink on the link you provided and select "Save Target As..." or Select "View Source" from the View menu, or use a browser that doesn't support JavaScript.

So, really the only thing you have accomplished on this page is to anger people by crashing their browser.

I consider this a piss-poor approach to web design.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything sent to the browser can be seen and stolen by the user. There is simply no way around this, though IE 5+ supports an encryption method for scripts that will prevent the casual user from stealing them. If your scripting code is that critical to your business that you don't want someone to use it then you have to move it server side. There are many technologies to do this with the most popular being ASP and PHP. Others include PerlScript, JSP, Cold Fusion and MivaScript.

Just keep in mind that nothing you expose to the public can be kept private for long.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do run my site using ASP. But recently I developed some JavaScript (which I want to use on my site, and which I might possibly want to sell in the future), and thus I am looking for ways to secure it. Simply blocking the pop-up menu would not work, as explained in Astroglide's post. Are there any other methods?

Eugene.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webpages by nature are open source. You can make it harder for someone to view the source but if they are smart enough it's always possible. you set your file permissions to read and someone can see it. I would love to see an example of truly hidden source, but as far as I'm concerned it cannot be done.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can hide your source from the script at http://www.plebius.org/cgi-bin/webto...www.yahoo.com/ I will be very impressed

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.anti-leech.com/ will offer this kind of service in a few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello,

well seeing this conversation going on here, i might as well ad that this hiding source is totaly possible. yes, as lugarweb mentioned that Anti-Leech is going to give this service. For more developed users who know how to use HTML and scripting to a extent may, of course, find out what the source, but for him to go through so much trouble means the source must be very valuable to him. So if the the individual that wants the code to remain hidden then you must have something awfully vital to hide. What can I say, hiding the code is possible, to a point. Of course, now or later you may find the code.
    Anti-Leech will give a good service but of course as i said only to a extent.
    If you yourself are a good programmer then you might come up with something basing yourself on Anti-Leeches Service.

no more is to say here, bu to wait for Anti-Leeches service or a rockin good programmer....

------------------
    Morpheos
    Digital Works Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>well seeing this conversation going on here, i might as well ad that this hiding source is totaly possible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Link? Code? Example?
    Your assertions do not a fact make.

Is it confusion over the term "source?"

If we consider source to mean the raw HTML of the page (which I do), to my knowledge there is no way to hide this.
    LuZeR gives a site that should illuminate this point nicely.

On the other hand, if you consider source to include content generated and then displayed (which I do not, because it is not), then of course you can "hide" this.
    wluke pointed out several ways, and I would also add Java applets and darn near anything server-side, the HTML however will still be visible.

I will not comment on the anti-leech site except to say I could view all their HTML (...and they have a lot of 404s...) Although proving nothing, this seems a lot like a search engine submit service that isn't listed in the top 50 itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would not say that your answer is very insightful..

you can so very hide the source, but as i meant, TO A EXTENT, sooner or later you will of course find it. but deutschebank.com did this a couple of month ago, not anymore though...
    It works somewhat like this:

the browser is being told to find a file that contains the html. BUT the address to this file is encoded so only the browser may read it, well, it kind of how you hide the password from a user n the HTML document, its based on a lot of

NDKK44545N45439I-mmp0-9080

kinda looks like that... of course you can find the HTML sooner or later, i agree to that, but its not that butt-easy....

hope i have not offended you,

------------------
    Morpheos - Web Developer
    Digital Works Web Design/Development
    morpheos@carib.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Err.. regarding the javascript that crashes browsers.. I protected it to that extent because I did have an individual trying to rip off entire pages of mine and claim them as his. This naturally angered me so that I protected it in that way, and I know there are ways around it.

Normally I'd never go to that extent, since I know there is no foolproof way to protect one's website except copyrighting it.

Sparkie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of scripts which identify the visitors IP address and serve up a page based on that using cgi. This can be used for hiding pages from one user and serving other pages to another user.

Some people use it to serve a page optimised for search engine spiders and another to other visitors so that the optimised code can't be copied. However the code to the page delivered is still visible, it's just different to each user.

------------------
    Simon Conroy, Acorn Internet Search Engine Placement
    http://www.topwebsite.co.uk/