SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Which hard drive brand is best?

[SPIKE EDIT]
    The original post was a thinly disguised attempt at referral spam but it has raised a good discussion and useful links.
    For that reason the thread can stay!

[/SPIKE EDIT]
    Last edited by spikeZ; May 7, 2010 at 00:32.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I personally think Western Digital are more study devices (I have some of both brands) however it doesn't really make much difference, their all about the same

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of the several brands of hard drive I have used the only ones that have failed on me have been Western Digital. I have had no trouble with Seagate drives and will actually be collecting a new 1500Gb Seagate drive next time I pass the computer store (got the email that they now have it ready for me to collect a few minutes ago).

I agree with Alex that the two brands are much the same. From what I can see the criteria for selecting between hard drives appears to be mostly a matter of price, speed, and capacity as all the major brands provide good quality drives making it difficult to choose based on quality.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to bear in mind is the changes being made to the formatting of the newest hard drives which will have an impact for you if your running any OS that is XP or older.

@felgall, how old were the drives approx when they failed and had they been running near enough constantly?
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had no issues with Seagate or WD drives over the past 8 years or so.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seagate has died on me more than one time, last time i used Seagate it died after about a year (bought it because it got very good reviews). a chip melted under it and it was gone... so was ~200gb too.. and over 7k of pictures i had taken. lucky i had backup of most of it, but about 2k of pictures was lost.

that was the last time i tried Seagate.

WD has not been any better to me. I do have a 15GB WD from 14 november 2000, which still works as a charm, but 2 new one has died the last 3 yrs, and another works, but has a SMART failure.

I have also tried IBM which has died, but only after several years. but i do not trust them. the only ones that has never died on me are my Samsung disks. i started to buy Samsung after getting tired of Seagate and WD failure, and after reading some good reviews on them at Toms Hardware. and these has never failed me, on any of my computers. (which i have 6 of at the time, not mentioning laptops)
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard drives are always a gamble, regardless of who you get them from. Some batches you get with zero faults while another batch can be riddled with problems. Sometimes you are lucky...sometimes not. It also depends how the drives are transported and handled.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most of the time the hard drive will either fail in the first few days of use or will last for quite a few years.

The ones I had fail were unusual in that they failed just after the end of the warranty period. Fortunately in each case the drives started making noises before they failed and I was able to make a complete copy to a new drive before they actually failed completely.
    Stephen J Chapman

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Seagate better than wd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have my trusty copy of SpinRite by Steve Gibson, it's managed to recover every prematurely failed hard disk I've ever had... if only I knew about the product during that massive hard disk wipe-out in the 90's where I lost 2GB's worth of source code which I had produced... oh well

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    I have my trusty copy of SpinRite by Steve Gibson,
    Is that what that software is for. I'd never quite looked at the page referencing it long enough to realise. Always on the way past to one of his other products.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yea, SpinRite is basically the industry standard for hard disk recovery... even the ones that won't boot or are barely recognised by the BIOS in some cases can be recovered enough to boot from (to backup the data before replacing the drive)... it's an amazing piece of software, there's nothing else I've come across on the market that can resurrect damaged disks to that extent, I've saved a LOT of data using it so I can't sing it's praises highly enough, it's like witchcraft or voodoo.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson
    SpinRite is basically the industry standard for hard disk recovery... even the ones that won't boot or are barely recognised by the BIOS in some cases can be recovered enough to boot from (to backup the data before replacing the drive)... it's an amazing piece of software, there's nothing else I've come across on the market that can resurrect damaged disks to that extent, I've saved a LOT of data using it so I can't sing it's praises highly enough, it's like witchcraft or voodoo.
    but the platters has to be spinning, and the arm has to be moving for it to work. I have never lost data from disks that still had a fraction of life left.

as long as it's spinning and the arm is moving - even with a lot of noise both from the platters and sometimes even with the "click of death" from the arm, i have still managed to get data out. I have opened some with a screwdriver, while others has been opened with a saw and axe

but mostly the tools has been the tools in windows, - a disktool run from a cd/diskette from the disk manufactor combined with different recovery tools over the years, which these last years has mostly been disk explorer and get data back from runtime software.

a good recovery software should in my opinion recover from a source to a destination, and from what i know spinrite does not do this

it keeps refreshing the surface and control reads to get as much data from the sectors as possible, before it - puts it back on the same drive again. in my opinion it's more important getting your files from the disk to a safe place than to scan and try to rebuild sectors, as the disk can die while running spinrite.

if i would use spinrite, it would have to be after rescuing my data - but why would i use it now, as the disk will most likely die again after a while anyway if you manage to repair it.

I have not tried spinrite myself because of this. some times you only get one shot to save your files, and i have lost too much data to start playing russian roulette with it
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried them all, from WD to Maxtor, Seagate and others. However, nowadays I am using Samsung Spinpoint F3, which is great and quite cheap.

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I prefer Seagate and especially since I returned three dead hard-drives to the local service center.

The receptionist checked the serial number and because every one was within the five-year warranty period they were either repaired or replaced.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always used Maxtor and WD drives and never had a problem with either, but lately I usually just stick to WD.

I usually prefer to order from newegg, but that price at BB seems to be the cheapest around.

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to have an IBM hard disk that lasted 12 years. shame they don't make HDD anymre. My pick now would be WD.
    Honest Web Host Reviews - Check Web Hosting
    Over 1700 Web Host. Pure user reviews.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using the Seagate Hard drive from the last one year. It is best one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my opinion seagate and WD both are good.. but Seagate is more reliable than WD

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me the western digital is the best and have used the drive for many years.
    I have also tried the seagate but not satisfied with it. After its failure I used the windows data recovery software from Stellar Phoenix.

More details about the western digital can be seen here

http://techreport.com/articles.x/18757/1

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess all drives (brand) has some lemons in their batches one way or the other. Most of my HD's are Seagate and I think I get better performance from them vs WD's.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend you western digital, its good one and i also personally use this for my system.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Betong View Post
    I prefer Seagate and especially since I returned three dead hard-drives to the local service center.

The receptionist checked the serial number and because every one was within the five-year warranty period they were either repaired or replaced.
    I use segate hard disk from past 10 years and i didn't face any kind of hard disk problems. so i suggest use Seagate or WD. One of us suggested samsung any one use it ?
    i am buying a new harddisk so plz suggest me if samsung is better then i will go for that

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really depends on your place and personal preference. I've had a seagate 80gb simply go bad before. Though it died gracefully. :P

Then I got a 30gb maxtor for another pc that's still running though its really damn slow.

Then i've had another 80gb seagate and another 80gb maxtor which are still quite running though the seagate seems to be slower than the 80gb maxtor. Just not sure if it's the drive or it was simply a slower design.

Then i've had a new 200gb seagate for 1 year now and hasn't gone bad yet. And a separate 500gb seagate that's still chugging along.

Well I guess it depends on preference, availability and luck.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm also using WD and still not facing problem on it soo it might be goood too