SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When spacing text and images with tables, is it better to create small cells (such as <td width="10"> ) or should I use a couple of &nbp;. Does creating the extra cell slow down the page download?

Thanks!

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, if you're using tables, it's easiest(and fastest I believe) to use cellpadding and cellspacing to control the spacing around your images and text. If you want to do complex layouts, I think it's best to use <TD Width=10> </TD> rather than 10   back to back. You'll still have to use one   or Netscape won't show your cell, but it gives you less chance of making an error and it'll make keeping columns lined up easier(I know if I'm doing a page late at night, I don't want to have to keep counting out 10   all the time).

I don't know how the speed is effected, but I use the width attribute, cellpadding and cellspacing because they are pixel based and much easier to control. If you want 10 pixels, a width=10 will always give you 10 pixels. I believe   is scalable and thus can be corrupted by the font size you're currently using. I could be wrong about that though.

Besides, wouldn't a page of:
    <td width=10> </td><td>your info...

be better than a page of:
    <td>          your info......

when you want to make large scale updates?

That's just MHO, let's see what everyone else says.

------------------
    Dave Maxwell
    www.keystonecapitalchorus.org
    www.trademarkquartet.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use tables if I need exact rendering. With the majority of users utilizing 4th generation browsers its much easier to get the exact layout you want using layers (ala the <DIV> tag) and CSS. I relegate tables to simple layout and the presentation of Data.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider