SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to: A small site on (almost) one page

I just posted a link to a static site I created last Summer in another thread, and it struck me that since it was IMHO a pretty original approach, some of you may find it interesting to check out.

They wanted me to use frames, but I hated the idea and came up with the idea of flipping layers instead - They said it couldn't be done, and as ever I took this as an incentive to prove them wrong, and succeeded!

I used multiple overlapping <DIV> layers and a bit of handcoded JavaScript in conjunction with DW4's own JS code to create a (simple and small) site in only one html page (ignoring the single popup).

The finished product was a little graphics-heavy for my liking, but I was working for a design firm (boy, did they like having bits of graphics everywhere), and once loaded the site is lightning-quick to navigate because it's mostly just flipping layers about. Given another chance, I would probably improve image preloading and a few other things here and there, but I'm quite proud of it given that it only took me a couple of days to bolt together.

Anyway, enough waffle, here it is:
    http://www.ashdown-it.co.uk/home.htm

All comments, questions, etc. are welcome (although the site is long since out of my hands).

Also, if you have the misfortune to go to the root of the site (take off the "/home.htm") you will be greeted with a terrible flash animation which I could not stop them sticking on....! (That's how NOT to do a splash screen......! )
    MarcusJT
    - former ASP web developer / former SPF "ASP Guru"
    - *very* old blog with some useful ASP code

- Please think, Google, and search these forums before posting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On what browsers did you test it? Does it work at all for ne4.7 users?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tested & working in:
    IE 4,5,5.5,6
    Opera 5.10,6.04
    Netscape 4.08,6.22
    Mozilla 1.0

It is admittedly flakey in Opera 4 (due to its bugs with GIFs and DIVs I think) but who cares?!
    Last edited by M@rco; Jul 8, 2002 at 10:17.
    MarcusJT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kinda cool. i can see the benefits of speed and like the idea of no screen redraws. but are there any other benefits outside of those that i'm missing. some disadvantages i'm wondering about is bookmarking other content and search engine spidering.

still kinda cool though...

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well done M@rco, I did something similar when i learnt javascript, created it inside a entire .js file. And I wont be doing that again lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is true that you can't bookmark a specific "page" in the site, but for a small site like this, that doesn't pose any real problems, since it is easy to go to the right page.

Also with spidering, it is fully spiderable - in fact, since search engines see all the DIVs at once (thereby indexing all of the separate "pages" simultaneously) the site will probably rank higher as a single page than as separate pages, since each search request will effectively search all the words on all the pages rather than just one.

In both cases, when visiting the site from a hyperlink, the user is always presented with the first page. This may well be a good thing (for the company / site's owners) in most cases, since the user always sees their front page first - this is good for branding.

However, this technique is clearly not suited to large sites composed of many tens/hundreds of pages!!! In this case though, I think it fits the bill perfectly, and provides an excellent user experience.

Glad you find it "kinda cool"!
    MarcusJT