User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy
    when did you notice something was wrong??
    When i was a child. I was born with carpal. it runs in the family.
    But i waited a long long time before i did something about it. should had surgery years ago

Were you using the computer for a long time before you noticed it
    I never noticed anything while sitting at a computer. but boy did i noticed it while doing hard labour. I got cramp in my hands and couldn't move them, and it felt like it got sliced up with a razor. couldn't sleep at night, hands so numb that it couldn't be used to anything. but i never missed a day at work

That was nice but it's been better, but not good.
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    @saul -I found this article - http://www.office-ergo.com/viewing.htm it seems it has alot to do with RPV (resting point of vergence) but I've always been told atleast 25 inches away!
    Someone's broken the site, it doesn't work.

25'' (~60 cm) sounds about right. Unfortunately, it's a matter of seconds until I rest my elbows on the table, and that cuts the missing 20 cm off. Also, can no longer read text (this size) from that distance without glasses
    Saul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really upset about your Herediatory Carpal (or Neuropathy.) I am from a medical background but don't know a lot about 'Carpal'. Shame you were not advised to seek treatment and surgery earlier. But you seem to cope well. Look after your hands. !

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am from a medical background but don't know a lot about 'Carpal'.
    He's missing part of the name. Carpal refers to the bones of the wrist (Greek: karpos, wrist)

Herediatory Carpal (or Neuropathy.)
    That sounds better.
    Hereditary carpal neuropathy : ) Ooh ooh, acronym time: hcn!

You can go to HCN anonymous. Sounds like a fun drug name too.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Saul - that site works ok for me - regardless though, there's no changing you now is there

@crazy - yeah it's a shame you didn't act sooner but isn't that the way with most things? We always regret we didn't do things sooner! I can imagine at night time, sure we bend our wrists naturally when we sleep that must have been very uncomfortable plus hard labour I complain when I get a blister if I'm doing any DIY work like shovelling gravel or something I was surprised after reading up on this syndrome, ordinarily I would hear people going on about it who used computers alot but jeeze there are so many ways you can get it plus now hereditary!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My mom had carpal tunnel syndrome where she couldn't hold a fork to eat with and had the same trouble sleeping as Crazy. She packed apples in a factory... never did much with a computer, esp in the later years because she couldn't double-click.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry hear about your mam Stomme, has she gotten any better in time? It makes me wonder myself, I am a speed typist and well I'm on this laptop for long periods of time I'm wondering down the line if I'll suffer from some sort of ailment because of this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have terrible back pain from sitting at my desk all day. Then I built a standing workstation. I use a stool occasionally to rest my feet.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yeah it's a shame you didn't act sooner but isn't that the way with most things? We always regret we didn't do things sooner!
    I don't like to complain, and i don't like people complaining. so i didn't wanna do something about it. Hell, I'm a VIKING

I got the surgery because of my work. many of us perish or gets serious injuries every year,
    so to keep the quality and safety on a high level, i felt i had to do it.
    and i don't regret waiting such a long time. one should be grateful for what you have,
    there are so many people out there who have a much tougher time than you.
    so who am i to complain

remember:

Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wow, a real viking? Yaaaar!

Quote Originally Posted by miz
    Sorry hear about your mam Stomme, has she gotten any better in time?
    Well no, she died, but not from carpal tunnel lawlz. : )

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Getting a good chair is always a fantastic way to ensure your back is comfortable and not under stress through slouching... I really want one of those awesome executive chairs that I can flip right back on, though Leo Laporte has one of those balance balls he sits on to improve his "core stability"

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    I was laughing at the waking up when u thought u had a broken neck, I know I shouldn't be laughing at that but it was how you said it and I was picturing the scene and I found it awful funny but yeah of course it's not to be laughed at.... I laugh at inappropriate things what can I say
    Wow...Aren't you terribly horrible?! I kid! I was laughing at it myself afterwards and my Dad couldn't stop laughing at me! He was all "Calm down everythings ok you've not broken your kneck it's just a stiff neck thats all" That's alright him saying that...He's not the one lying in bed almost crying his eyes out thinking he's done for! I thought I was paralysed And I had a slight stiff neck two days ago...I was like whoah...Don't do this to me!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Getting a good chair is always a fantastic way to ensure your back is comfortable and not under stress through slouching... I really want one of those awesome executive chairs that I can flip right back on, though Leo Laporte has one of those balance balls he sits on to improve his "core stability"
    Lol, I can imagine you playing around on one of those chairs or a balance ball, would be a funny site! I'd be playing around with them too like a little kid I really want one of those chairs though, it would be so much better than the bog standard gas chair I have now which is pretty rubbish!

I think sometimes people underestimate computer ergonomics. Pretty much everyone in my computer class dismisses it completely and there's a standing joke in the class that if I don't adjust my seat heat, my monitor, and my keyboard when I sit down then I'll be plagued with all of the illnesses that come with not making sure everything is correct. The first thing I do when I enter a classroom is check which keyboards have the little stands at the back / underneath and then adjust the chair height and monitor so everything is perfect. It's a shame really that some people don't take it seriously but it's their health and what not.

Andrew Cooper

PS: Stop bloody high-jacking my threads people! How many hours do you spend online?! It isn't a competition!....But I do spend around 14 - 16 hours a day, most days.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It isn't a competition!
    Oh. It's not?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCooper View Post
    Wow...Aren't you terribly horrible?! I kid! I was laughing at it myself afterwards and my Dad couldn't stop laughing at me! He was all "Calm down everythings ok you've not broken your kneck it's just a stiff neck thats all" That's alright him saying that...He's not the one lying in bed almost crying his eyes out thinking he's done for! I thought I was paralysed And I had a slight stiff neck two days ago...I was like whoah...Don't do this to me!

PS: Stop bloody high-jacking my threads people! How many hours do you spend online?! It isn't a competition!....But I do spend around 14 - 16 hours a day, most days.
    I guess I was laughing more so becaues I was relating to your story - I've often had a stiff neck or pulled a muscle or something and it is scary alright and you're afraid to move incase something snaps! So I guess I saw myself in your story too But you're right..I am terribly horrible

14-16 hrs! No wonder your neck is wonky!