User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCooper View Post
    Yh I know the desks you mean! It makes you wonder sometimes how they thought them shelves and blocks would be helpful / comfortable for the person sitting at that desk!

What, the one about my tutor picking my bag up for me? Is it perhaps because your a teacher yourself ? I hope it was...Because if you was laughing at my inability to pick my bag up...Well well well...
    I often think that too, ordinarily I don't go for desks like that because of that whole issue but this was an old desk I had, probably my very first computer desk actually - I rooted it out because of the way I changed my room layout! But lesson learned anyways, I'm mobile now with my laptop so the leg pain is practically non existent now thank god!

I was laughing at the waking up when u thought u had a broken neck, I know I shouldn't be laughing at that but it was how you said it and I was picturing the scene and I found it awful funny but yeah of course it's not to be laughed at.... I laugh at inappropriate things what can I say

Has anyone here ever had any eyesight problems that have been directly from the prolonged usage of a computer?

I used to wear glasses when I was around 14 or so, at this time I was also using computers - well over time and attending eyesight appointments my eyesight became stronger and I no longer needed to wear glasses! Even now to this day (at 29 yrs old) I use the computer for hours on a daily basis and I still don't need glasses at all - my eyesight is extremely good, whether its down to a good diet or not or perhaps proper lighting I don't know but computers don't affect my eyesight at all!

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    Has anyone here ever had any eyesight problems that have been directly from the prolonged usage of a computer?

I have.

computers don't affect my eyesight at all!
    You're just not spending enough time at it to be affected. I suggest you keep it that way.
    Saul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    You're just not spending enough time at it to be affected. I suggest you keep it that way.
    Are you kidding me? I spend like 11hrs on the computer each day and on some occasions more than that!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend like 11hrs on the computer each day
    Exactly - not enough.
    Saul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really?? How long are you spending on each day? 24! ?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Maybe he's got more years of 12+ hours a day than you? : )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really?? How long are you spending on each day? 24! ?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Maybe he's got more years of 12+ hours a day than you? : )
    Maybe not more, but I can bet it's more days in a row.
    Saul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you guys... I can assure you I have put in lots and lots of time online - hell even all nighters, day merged with night a good few times but I was alot younger back then *creak* - seriously though, the only complaint I've had is either related to my desk being awkward to sit at or my chair hurting my back/posture - other than that I'm lucky enough to have not had any serious problems!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was the same too - have felt no effect whatsoever, and I did spend long hours at the computer since I was 14 or so. The only thing that has changed are even longer hours and major lack of breaks. It also correlates to me getting my first laptop which meant my own computer available 24/7, as I had to share one before (which allowed me to get much needed breaks). Also to finishing my studies, which meant I could now spend all 24 hours at it if I wanted to, and believe me, I do want to
    Saul

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you kidding me? I spend like 11hrs on the computer each day and on some occasions more than that!
    I've never gotten eye problems from looking at computer screens either... and I spend anywhere up to 20 hours a day on the computer (I'm an insomniac who could easily clock 72 hour runs with 6 hours sleep). I think these days LCD screens have become much "nicer" to your eyes than CRT's and thereby the old issue of damaging your eyes isn't as much if an issue as it used to be. Perhaps I'm wrong but I've been clocking up those time-frames for a long time!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try doing core strength exercises, i paid more attention on my math

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the thing Saul - it's way too accessible nowadays to get online, obviously it's a good thing to us net nerds but overall I'm suspecting some damage in the long run - I'm on my laptop now at the moment, but I'm sitting at the dining room table rather than plonked on the couch because I find that it's too uncomfortable plus im constantly looking down at it all the time! My neck aches after a while, plus with the amount of time I'd spend online it would probably explode from overheating on my lap

@Alex - I've only started using the LCD monitor as of like 3 years ago before that it was the CRT's back until I was 12/13! Plus the very first one had a flicker, the 2nd went b+w and sometimes had a green tinge to it I'm really surprised I've never had an eye problems!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty certain it's due to consistency and serious lack of breaks over the years.

Also, it may be largely due to me being prone to nearsightedness. If you're prone to farsightedness perhaps it may even have a positive effect. Total speculation.
    Saul

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    so this has now turned into a competition of "who spend most time in front of a computer". you guys are so cool

anyway, i was down in only 5% eyesight before my last eye surgery, and i dont think spending up to 2-3 days in front of a computer helped me

now i don't spend so many hours in front of the computer as i used to do, i also have other things to fill my day with. like things to do, people to meet and dogs to walk...
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so Saul, just how close do u have ur face from the screen if ur shortsighted?

crazy - we're still on topic actually! It's still an ergonomic issue What about those wrist rest thingies for both keyboard and mouse mats - they bug the hell out of me, they are so uncomfortable! Anyone else ever use them or like them for that matter!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy
    What about those wrist rest thingies for both keyboard and mouse mats - they bug the hell out of me, they are so uncomfortable! Anyone else ever use them or like them for that matter!
    i dont use them. (and i've had surgery in both my hands for carpal tunnel syndrome, so i probably won't need such things anyway )

for me, those things are humbug

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so Saul, just how close do u have ur face from the screen if ur shortsighted?
    40cm
    Saul

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should buy some of those projection goggles that give you a 40" desktop monitor through each eye on a pair of glasses, problem solved and you'll look cool

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Crazy - that's mental - did the surgery do anything for you?

@Saul - Is there anything you can try to prevent you from sitting so close? I dread to think what resolution you have set

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    did the surgery do anything for you?
    sure, It gave me a break that lasted for 4 months

but yes, it helped. i can now feel my fingers and hands, and a lot of pain has disappeared.

I was one of those chronic cases, and it did not disappear completely, i need surgery two more times. but they are unsure if they can do it. I will probably know more in a few months.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Saul - Is there anything you can try to prevent you from sitting so close? I dread to think what resolution you have set
    What's the recommended distance?

I can hardly sit any further. It's a laptop, and I obviously need to use the keyboard which is "attached" to the display. I'd have to set back in my chair to increase the distance form the eyes, but then I'm sure my back wouldn't like that.

BTW, 40 cm is almost 16 inches for those who use the wrong system. It is actually not THAT close, but probably not far enough either.
    Saul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @saul -I found this article - http://www.office-ergo.com/viewing.htm it seems it has alot to do with RPV (resting point of vergence) but I've always been told atleast 25 inches away!

@crazy - glad it helped you out somewhat - when did you notice something was wrong? Were you using the computer for a long time before you noticed it?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @saul -I found this article - http://www.office-ergo.com/viewing.htm it seems it has alot to do with RPV (resting point of vergence) but I've always been told atleast 25 inches away!

@crazy - glad it helped you out somewhat - when did you notice something was wrong? Were you using the computer for a long time before you noticed it?
    I found an interesting site that may help clarify (unfortunatly not cure)about RPV , the correct sitting position etc. "Ergonomics in Australia"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a search with those terms Nuala, they reckon arms length is ok with regard to distance from eye level to the monitor on that site how long is the average arm or saul's for that matter!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a search with those terms Nuala, they reckon arms length is ok with regard to distance from eye level to the monitor on that site how long is the average arm or saul's for that matter!
    Kinda' like "how long is a piece of string" !!