SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I happen to enjoy animations. So, to the point of those in defense of splash pages, if done well, they can be great! Splash pages can have a purpose. If you're an animator, designer, or some other artist, aspiring or professional, including some sort of showcase can be "informative" as it demonstrates your style and creativity to potential clients.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by chrispalle
    I happen to enjoy animations. So, to the point of those in defense of splash pages, if done well, they can be great! Splash pages can have a purpose. If you're an animator, designer, or some other artist, aspiring or professional, including some sort of showcase can be "informative" as it demonstrates your style and creativity to potential clients.
    So add a link that says "take a look at my style and creativity if you happen to enjoy animations". I hate being forced to look at what people "think" I might want to look at. So do the majority of web users.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    So add a link that says "take a look at my style and creativity if you happen to enjoy animations". I hate being forced to look at what people "think" I might want to look at. So do the majority of web users.
    Alternatively, don't go visiting sites about creativity, etc... and think they owe you something.

If a site isn't your cup of tea, leave, but don't moan about it.
    They've made their choice, you're free to make yours.

Have you ever thought that some sites owners might not particularly want visitors who are resistant to more creative/playfull approaches?

Not everyone thinks 'custom at all costs'.
    Not everyone views themselves as a piece of clay waiting to be shaped by whatever makes the most money.

No-one is ever going to be able to appeal to everyone, so one perfectly good approach is to present yourself however you wish to and try to attract like-minded people.

There are going to be times when your patronage isn't missed as much as you think it is.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we talking about the same thing? What are some examples of splash pages?

I want to be clear that everything should have a purpose. Say, a site that is intended for broadband users with fast computers should have something that explains this before unintended users even attempt to view the site. Call it courtesy.

What sites do you like to go to? What do you "like to look at"? Sometimes, I like rich well-thought designs. When I'm out looking for this type of stuff, if the site has a slick entry and sets a cool tone, it's serves a purpose. Are you going to seek out these types of sites? If not, you're not part of the intended audience and then, your opinion doesn't really matter. I'm not saying that to be rude, but that's reality.

So do the majority of web users.
    That's cool, I usually fall into the minority. Sets me apart from the persistent, massive depersonalization conformity *forces* on society.

I do agree, users should always have control over what is presented to them; there's nothing worse than being forced to sit through something unwanted. But again, who is the viewer? As long as this is considered before the design is executed, things should work out okay in the end. It all goes back to correctly profiling the audience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Bill Posters

As long as there is at least one person who has enjoyed content delivered on a splash screen, then the paradigm that all splash pages are bad is plainly wrong.
    Originally posted by M. Johansson

No. If one 12-year old boy and one 40-year old man enjoys intimate acts together, doesn't invalidate the statement that pedophilia is grenerally a bad thing.
    That is the most absurd analogy I have ever seen/heard..I interpreted Bills statement to mean that because one person has enjoyed the page, they are not all bad all of the time... however, I think in your example.. it is still bad all of the time.. even if two people enjoy it... notice your use of the word 'generally'... and Bills use of 'all'... but coming from someone who uses his signature to make light of cancer.. why am I not surprised..

Very interesting thread, as I am currently in two minds whether to include a splash page on a site I am currently working on.

My personal opinion is that they are acceptable in places I would expect the chance of seeing one..

artistic sites and design sites.. I might expect to see one.. business sites, info based and ecommerce sites.. I don't expect to see one.. so it would be an annoyance.. it all depends on what your site is about.. saying they are all bad is such a narrow minded perspective.. if your site is selling a physical product online.. then the reason people have gone to your site is to buy.. if you are displaying art or an 'experience'.. people are browsing at more leisure, and it might be acceptable to present a nice front cover to your work..

I have never yet watched a Star Wars movie without first watching the text scroll.. it sets the atmosphere.. and sometimes it is appropriate on the net, and sometimes it isn't...

On a side note.. Nielsen is a genius.. he has made a name for himself (and I am sure money) by stating the obvious.. wish I had thought of that..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what do you people think of this?

Do you consider this a splash page? Interesting? Waste of Time? What do you think?

http://www.industriousbird.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if we are to adopt the majority opinion of the 'splash page'.. "a page with no content appearing at the beginning of the site" then yes it is..

This fits into my category of a portfolio/design site, as it is displaying your skills/experience.. therefore I expect that it might have a splash page, so it does not irritate me..

Granted, the average web user may not take my view.. with this in mind, I think every splash page should at least provide the user with an option to not see it again using a cookie.. if they are going to annoy people with a splash page.. at least make some effort to make it less painful for those people..

Having said this.. I don't think it is a coincedence that most sites I 'repeat' visit.. do not have a splash page, but these are info/content based sites that update regularly... so I would not expect to have to click past an entry page..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt know splash pages was so hated.

Been thinkin of using one since my is a lil heavy to load and thats why i would like a simple splash page for 56k and broadband users but not one that you would always see.
    One that you will only see once or not as often.

Is that still bad?

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think if you code it so that it appears only once (cookies ?), then i would say go for it, as long as it's very light and doesn't have flash intros with white text on black background flying in, with techno music, moving into quick cuts video once the beat kicks in...
    seriously, if it serves a purpouse (initial connection speed selection) and remember's the user's choice, then it should be fine. remember to offer the chance on your main site to switch between 56K and broadband as well...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redux
    i think if you code it so that it appears only once (cookies ?), then i would say go for it, as long as it's very light and doesn't have flash intros with white text on black background flying in, with techno music, moving into quick cuts video once the beat kicks in...
    seriously, if it serves a purpouse (initial connection speed selection) and remember's the user's choice, then it should be fine. remember to offer the chance on your main site to switch between 56K and broadband as well...
    Yea thats what i want but currently ill have to notify the 56k user thru broadband section for the light version (one main index or a splash with 2 indexs). and dont want a constant splash page showing up.

Any ideas where i cant find or get the one im looking for?

BTW, i took off all that music and flash crap off my site cus i got alotta complaints of serious lag and load problems so ive been thinking of doing 3 types of pages: Light, Broadband and Heavy with flash.