User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    How googleable are you? Does this affect your employment chances? Is it safe to post personal information online?
    Well if you google Andrew Cooper you get a variety of University lecturers and mainly a male model!...That would of course be myself! Hahaha I kid! I don't come up until the 9th page! Yet if you google Andrew Cooper Web Design I come up on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pages in Google. If you Google Andrew Cooper SitePoint then yea, I'm plastered all over the place! I'm happy with that because the results will change after a while from when my Website has been properly launched! But I don't think it affects my employment chances and I don't have anything personal posted online except for some old pictures on a forum which I can't seem to find through Google and it was through a name that is unidentifiable with me. My Facebook account is private so my photos and information are protected too.

Is getting listed on Google important to you? Sure, from a business point of view, of course you want your website to be found and get A1 listings! But on a personal level, does this bother you at all? I think we've all done it at one point in time, searched for ourselves on Google or another search engine. Were the results surprising? I have to admit I'm surpised that I could be perceived as being a man or even a pro wrestler if you did a search for my own SP username!
    I'm not all that bothered about my Google rank for my name, I'm more bothered about my Google ranking for my business Website and my clients Websites. It would be nice to come up on the first page for Andrew Cooper, maybe one day it will be so! We'll see! I've Googled myself quite a few times in the past, I don't think I've done it in over a year though now.

This also makes me think of Online Resumés/CV's - is it really that safe to have soo much information all about your personal details, employment history - basically your life's story all on display for the world to see! Do employers really take the time to look at your online resumé? Perhaps you have a domain purely dedicated to your employment opportunities where you keep your portfolio work, CV, contact details, etc..? Does it work for you? How secure can this be?
    I was considering having my PDF available publicly but then I decided against it for some of the reasons you listed just there. Whoever requires my CV can have it, but the whole world don't need it. It has a lot of personal / private information on it. At the same time, I do like looking at other peoples' CV's and Resumé's because it gives me ideas on what I should and shouldn't include and also inspiration for the layout and design

So how Googleable are you guys?
    Not very, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelRay View Post
    I think if you have a blog, business or website then its okay to be "very Googleable" but if its about your name (full name) then I don't think its alright. Too much information can backfire...and scammers can always use it to scam you or your family members.
    I didn't think about this actually! I guess it didn't cross my mind because I didn't think people would be such evil b-stards to do such a thing, especially if the person hasn't done anything to offend or insult. Hopefully such a thing wouldn't happen to me!

Also, Google have just released Google Profiles where you can, according to Google, control how you appear in Google and people will see it on their results page when they do web searches for your name. Something to add to the pot there! Anyone created one or thinking of creating one?
    Andrew Cooper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very "Google-able" and that is it just the way I like it. I do not hide my domain ownership details either. I have around 200. I am suspicious of people that do. If you have something to hide, then you should not be on the net. Of course there is always exceptions but for me having exposure is key for success.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have around 200.
    You have 200 domains, only one word comes to mind, why?

I am suspicious of people that do. If you have something to hide, then you should not be on the net.
    You're saying everyone should reveal everything personal about them-self. The past month that I've been reading the news, the Internet is not swarming with friendly, happy, kind people that I can feel confident and allow anyone to see my personal information, anyone anywhere in the world. If this was the case people wouldn't care about camouflaging there email address against SPAM and Malware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianHuskey View Post
    You have 200 domains, only one word comes to mind, why?

You're saying everyone should reveal everything personal about them-self. The past month that I've been reading the news, the Internet is not swarming with friendly, happy, kind people that I can feel confident and allow anyone to see my personal information, anyone anywhere in the world. If this was the case people wouldn't care about camouflaging there email address against SPAM and Malware.
    You can adjust your spam filters to block unwanted email. 200 domains because I develop some and resell others. 200 is nothing. Others have thousands. I have about 50 developed and make them pay for themselves with Ad Sense. Others are for different business ventures. There is few secrets on the internet. With ip tracking and other software your information can be found pretty easily nowadays. Each to their own. I prefer not to hide behind a screen or try to mask my identity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beside some confidential information (Eg. Bank A/C), i don mind to be googleable..

<snip>no fake singatures please... be patient </snip>
    Last edited by molona; Apr 25, 2010 at 00:30. Reason: deleting fake sig

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pretty common real name, but bought both the .com and .co.uk a few years ago now when it was only geeks doing that so am very much googleable even if I do share my name with a more famous Rolling Stone magazine political journalist

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCooper View Post
    Also, Google have just released Google Profiles where you can, according to Google, control how you appear in Google and people will see it on their results page when they do web searches for your name. Something to add to the pot there! Anyone created one or thinking of creating one?
    It's been around for a while actually, I'm thinking of making one to add to the list of social networks I work with, so look for that on my site soon

PS: I wish I had a less common name, then I could own my name as a website!

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    PS: I wish I had a less common name, then I could own my name as a website!
    What holds you from it? There are plenty other tld's other than .com still available.
    Saul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well getting "Alex" in any TLD isn't going to be easy.

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Well getting "Alex" in any TLD isn't going to be easy.
    I think that goes for almost all first names... but you're lucky: www.alex.fr seems to be free

For "alexdawson" on the other hand, almost all are still free (except for .com and .net).

Wow, I can get some "guido" in cina, and in taiwan I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shame I'm not a resident of France (which requires you to live there to own the FR ccTLD).

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Your right
    That's strange. Them being a part of the EU, I would think all EU members could get them, like in Italy.
    Maybe you should sue them