SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 87
  1. #26
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd join the forum-- here's what I think. If your profession calls for being seen by people, being searched on Google is a good thing. You could just tell your clients to give you a run on Google so they'll see your work and track record. Just make sure you haven't posted anything insulting to anyone or anything that could destroy your reputation. If you're a lawyer, for example, you could refer your clients to run your name on Google and press releases or articles about you could come up. It could help, right?

  2. #27
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd only be concerned if someone found out about my online 'adult entertainment' interests; but in self-defence, you can't honestly tell me that those goats weren't enjoying it.

  3. #28
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @stomme - I think that's really interesting, mistaken identity! That would be so weird within an interview setting if your potential employer referred to something they saw on the web/google about what they thought was "you" - or even if they never said anything but just assumed the worst and in turn you just didn't get the job!

    Wow, even more reason to really watch what you say or how you present yourself online whether by association through forums, blogs, social networking etc.. I have to say I'm glad i've been paranoid over the years when it comes to my personal online presence

    @being self employed - I think it's easy to say that you don't need to ever worry about what you post/publish on the web or what is associated with you as you are your own boss... you always have to expect the unexpected, what if you needed to earn an extra income and took on a second job working for someone or indeed contract work - even being self employed, people are going to do a background check! And as what was mentioned earlier, from a client angle - this should be paramount, how you are presented online etc... - I believe it's very naive to not think twice about what you post on the web

  4. #29
    SitePoint Wizard siteguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,629
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked for myself ... after wading through several hundred results I got bored of reading about a salmon farm-owning flute player from an old folk/rock band, and various university professors.

    If I enter my name and then my town, I have the #1 result ... my CV.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

  5. #30
    Twitter: @AnthonySterling silver trophy AnthonySterling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North-East, UK.
    Posts
    6,111
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mines not too bad, my only real presence (barring a domain for mail, dns etc...) is my Twitter account.

    So given that, a Google.com search and a Google.co.uk search, both bring up my domain and Twitter account in the first 3 results.

    I have repeatedly been told to Blog, but to be honest, I lose interest after a paragraph or so, hence my preference for Twitter.

    All that being said, sometimes I am quite mindful of what I 'tweet'.
    @AnthonySterling: I'm a PHP developer, a consultant for oopnorth.com and the organiser of @phpne, a PHP User Group covering the North-East of England.

  6. #31
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why is this such an issue... if an employer discriminates against you because they "think" you did something (mistakenly) or because they poorly researched your history and decided to refuse hiring you on the basis of something you did 10 years ago... why on earth would you want to work for them? It's as moronic as refusing to hire someone on the basis of their gender, skin color or genetics. Discrimination is discrimination and I wouldn't want to work for anyone who's so "mentally unstable" that they would genuinely think that spying on someone to gain an idea of what their like as a person on the web in anyway reflects on their professionalism to carry out a job. That kind of "selective" hiring is deliberate bigotry, nothing else.

  7. #32
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,398
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread and I experience a pretty severe incident. My professor posted student's name along with full ssn for grade posting. So, the first result of my name is my SSN that's in bold. He's a IT Database Professor... hard to believe eh? Just to be on the safe side, I google my name few times a year.

  8. #33
    om nom nom nom Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,275
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    s'okay, people in US states such as Arizona are famous for having SSNs as drivers' license numbers... really, it's silly to think SSN is in any way private, and it's even more silly for places like banks etc to think it should be used for anything other than determining if the person is part of the Social Security system. It's not a Personal Super-Secret Safe Number. Financial institutions etc need to stop using it like that.

  9. #34
    phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    3,626
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel that while I may tone down some ideas that are political or religious in nature, I mostly speak my mind online, but at the same time feel prepared to answer any questions that would arise that relate to my online presence which is pretty strong.

  10. #35
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boom--I cant ever upload my personal information for employer. its a horrible mistake if some one do..

  11. #36
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well siteguru, dare I say "Mr Anderson" You are indeed a brave man to have your CV out there, the idea of having mine on display for the world to see makes me sweat! lol not that there is anything worth looking out, just the whole Google world keeping it forever freaks me out!

    Alex, deep breaths! Breathe... - Some people I guess don't have the luxury of choosing which or what employer to work for, when you need the money you'll work for anyone if you're desperate enough - considering one is a web designer/developer I'm sure SEO comes into the equation at some point and if a potential employer/client is checking up on your portfolio and your own domain and all your tweets, forum posts or what you blogged about having for dinner pops up on the listings well its a free for all really isn't it? What if you were giving out about star trek and she/he was a die-hard fan...then that's war really isn't it?

    Sg707 - That was very reckless of your professor! I too would be checking now and again for myself on Google too!

  12. #37
    SitePoint Wizard ryanhellyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's about five people with the exact same name as me that I know of in the world. I trounce them on everything search engine wise.

    I also figure if there's tidal wave of info. about me on the net, via stuff that I've posted, then the occasional slip up here and there is likely to get lost in that big fat wave of information overload. Or at least that's the theory

    Before I started in web dev. work, there was a website which was setup purely as an attack on another person with the exact same name as me. It posted their financial details, their business interests (which were very XXX rated) and generally scandalised my name in a quite serious way. Thankfully the site is gone now, but even if it was, it would be a reasonably long way down the search engine rankings simply because I'd have drowned them out.

    So in some ways, I believe having lots of information about you online can be a beneficial thing as long as it's almost all good stuff.

  13. #38
    SitePoint Wizard ryanhellyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    ... So, the first result of my name is my SSN that's in bold.
    Sorry, but what does SSN stand for?

  14. #39
    om nom nom nom Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,275
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Social Security Number. In the US, it's how the tax service identifies you as a taxpayer (though you can also have a separate tax id as well), but mostly is used to match your earnings with how much social security money you are to receive when you stop working. It is clearly stated somewhere (forgot now where) that it is NOT to be used for any other kind of identification. But people do.

    In the Netherlands, it's called a BSN (burger service nummer) though that's recent... used to be a So-fi (sociaal-fiscaal) Nummer (same thing, social security number used by the tax service and the government regarding money you've earned and money you are entitled to receive).

  15. #40
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    burger service nummer
    Talk about amusing translations, what's your healthcare system called? McDonald's with fries?

  16. #41
    SitePoint Member jobgave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi newbie here. Me? I'm just beginning to apply SEO tactics on my site to be visible in google. I'm just new to it, hope i can get there in time.

    <snip>

    Last edited by mizwizzy; Apr 13, 2010 at 03:52. Reason: removed fake signature - please be patient

  17. #42
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ burger!

    wow Ryan, that must have been embarassing - did anyone ever say anything about this other person to you, wondering if it was you? Like when you started web development I'm assuming the site was still out there somewhere?

  18. #43
    SitePoint Addict dnordstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google is not that important yet since I'm just a startup but it will be. At the moment, I'm optimizing more and more for web design in amsterdam but my blog is higher than my company website due to the higher pagerank.

    As my company grows, I'll focus more on SEO for my own name and company.

    As for my name, Google it and most of my profiles and entire life is on the first page.
    Daniel Nordstrom. of. Nintera(ctive)
    -- Featured post: Part 2. Writing NI.JS JavaScript
    ----- Follow me on Twitter. Got project? Contact me.
    -------- SitePoint: Community Guidelines Be A Great Member

  19. #44
    om nom nom nom Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,275
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Talk about amusing translations, what's your healthcare system called? McDonald's with fries?
    That would be the American Healthcare System, Alex. : )

    Burger-- someone from a city, not a farmer or some uniformed job/special status. Originally way back, a burg was a castle, but a castle housed some kind of lord who usually had a city or town that was his, and the people in there were burgers. You still see this in some German cities' names (Hamburg). Nowadays it just means a citizen or someone who lives somewhere (burgers van *sometown/area/country*).

    Wanna hear another one? Y'know why you have "bank tellers" when they don't tell you anything? Because they tel (count). Tellen = to count. Likely also the root of the word dollar (taler) is the same as the root of tellen.

  20. #45
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In tha fruit cellar
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes
    a burg was a castle, but a castle housed some kind of lord who usually had a city or town that was his, and the people in there were burglars..
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar


  21. #46
    om nom nom nom Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,275
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    No, those are people who burgle. Hamburgler!

  22. #47
    From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    guido2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    9,495
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well, there's only one me in the whole world. So when I google my name, all I find is me. There's a lot of me...

  23. #48
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    Come on guys, surely there are more of you out there who have googled your name or ID's online - perhaps you found something you didn't like or were shocked at how popular you really were? Is it that difficult to get "uncached" from Google if there is something pertaining to you that you wish to disappear really quickly?
    Yes, I've once found my facebook profile with a picture at #1 spot. I've instinctively changed the privacy settings and took it down. Not that there was anything wrong with it but...

    Now there are lots of other results that aren't me (actually there's just one that is related to me), and someone else's facebook profile is now #1.

    If I was using my name as a brand or if I was at least using my full name online in public space, I'd spread the word on the web about how great I am and make sure that's the only thing that can be found in top results.

    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy
    I think that's really interesting, mistaken identity! That would be so weird within an interview setting if your potential employer referred to something they saw on the web/google about what they thought was "you" - or even if they never said anything but just assumed the worst and in turn you just didn't get the job!

    Wow, even more reason to really watch what you say or how you present yourself online whether by association through forums, blogs, social networking etc.. I have to say I'm glad i've been paranoid over the years when it comes to my personal online presence
    On the contrary, that's a good reason to start being concerned about your PR. So you've been paranoid about your privacy all these years, and all of a sudden another Hazel with the same last name comes online and creates a blog about how she breeds and exports leprechauns to the north pole for underpaid elf labor. Now you've suddenly become a leprechaun smuggler.

    If your name is important to you for any reason, be it potential employers or clients Googling you, you'd better start posting about yourself and a lot, to push those horrible results to the oblivion.
    Saul

  24. #49
    Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    8,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    On the contrary, that's a good reason to start being concerned about your PR. So you've been paranoid about your privacy all these years, and all of a sudden another Hazel with the same last name comes online and creates a blog about how she breeds and exports leprechauns to the north pole for underpaid elf labor. Now you've suddenly become a leprechaun smuggler.
    What's to stop other people spreading FUD about you on the Internet? You can't protect your privacy when clearly anyone can say anything about anyone they do or don't know and to any potential employer it's worth using as "evidence", I know of ACTUAL cases where employers have refused to employ someone on the basis of opinions or hearsay about a person without a shred of evidence to back up the claims. There's no point covering up your privacy on that basis, it's like trying to keep the titanic afloat using hugs and kisses. All this effort your putting into protecting yourself for employment is pretty useless if all it takes is some untrue web trolling or slander to ruin your career prospects... just be as open as possible and throw your hands in the air, because you don't stand a chance.

    PS: Mizwizzy no longer exports leprechauns since they've been listed as an endangered species, now she complies with all applicable preservation laws.

  25. #50
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    What's to stop other people spreading FUD about you on the Internet? You can't protect your privacy when clearly anyone can say anything about anyone they do or don't know and to any potential employer it's worth using as "evidence", I know of ACTUAL cases where employers have refused to employ someone on the basis of opinions or hearsay about a person without a shred of evidence to back up the claims. There's no point covering up your privacy on that basis, it's like trying to keep the titanic afloat using hugs and kisses. All this effort your putting into protecting yourself for employment is pretty useless if all it takes is some untrue web trolling or slander to ruin your career prospects... just be as open as possible and throw your hands in the air, because you don't stand a chance.
    That is if someone puts more effort into slandering you than you put effort to build your PR. Unless someone really really doesn't like you, you should be able to drown them in the shadow of your greatness

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    PS: Mizwizzy no longer exports leprechauns since the Irish government had them listed as an endangered species, now their protected she complies with all applicable preservation laws
    Which makes it even worse, if she chooses not to comply, which she might, just to be extra bad@ss.
    Saul


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •