SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heeeey..I want to know the trick too!!!! But the link is broken. Care to fix it cpradio?

Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, you just write "view-source:" infront of the current page you are viewing and hit enter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOOHHHH, I see now.

I obviously didn't get enough sleep last night....
    Are there other address bar tricks to learn b/c I really like that one?

Thanx

Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    about: (does something but I haven't figured out what.
    javascript: (you can run your own command, depending what you run may reset the page)
    search: ?? (not sure if its valid)

-Matt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me, the best way to protect images, asside from not uploading them to the Internet, is to either use Flash or an Applet.

Although neither of these methods are 100% effective, they will protect images from a majority of visitors.

If you choose the applet route, I would recommend one called ImageGuard. It completely encodes the location of the image as well as protect from page saving and even page printing. It does not, however, protect against capture.

I read somewhere, I don't remember where, that most users of the web do not even know how to capture screens (something like 80%). I thought that was high, until I started asking all of my relatives (who are not technical people) and none of them knew how to do it.

With that in mind, I recommeded ImageGuard to a client who's working on a photography studio web site. They really like it.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cpradio

-Matt
    It can write code into a blank page, good for testing purposes, I use it often:

abouthtml><head><title>Test</title> ...
    Wavelan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try this

about: You suck

(it takes any HTML code written after it and translates it into a webpage - Not sure what I'd ever use it for)

[edit: steve beat me /]
    kyle//at//retorikmedia//dot//com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot stop someone from stealing your images if they really wanted. ImageGuard is useless to protect your images, since nobody would want to dowload the latest version of Java upon entering the page with your "protected" images.

Therefore your images would not show up and the person would leave your web site.

If someone really wanted something, it can be taken with the hit of a button.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My least favorite no right-click site is a directory of clubs in our area. They list the addresses and phone numbers and sometimes directions..that's how they get their visitors and advertisors. But then, you can't use right click to copy the information to print it out. Now how dumb is that? Believe me, no one wants the source code of that page..it's just not that well done, and none of the information listed is in any way, shape or form copyrighted information.

(****** or Deleted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I really dont know how well this would work, it is just theory but...

Using layered divs, have a single pixel transparent gif in a layer directly over your image, so that when the person right clicks to download, they will get the transparent gif instead, but will not realise until they go to check later?

Just a strange whacky thought, you guys think it would work?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Originally posted by Darin
    You cannot stop someone from stealing your images if they really wanted. ImageGuard is useless to protect your images, since nobody would want to dowload the latest version of Java upon entering the page with your "protected" images.

Therefore your images would not show up and the person would leave your web site.

If someone really wanted something, it can be taken with the hit of a button.
    Well if I were a photography studio, or whatever, and was trying to sell the photographs of weddings I had taken, then I would still want some protection. If the person did not want to download the plug-in, then you are correct, the image would not show up, and they would either leave the site, or let it install and see the images.

If they chose not to install the plug-in, then my images are still protected since they cannot take it with "with the hit of a button", nor can they find out where it's located by viewing the source.

I know of a couple of studios in town that lose thousands of dollars a year because their clients or friends of their clients simply took the images and made pictures themselves instead of ordering them online (technically it's not lost income, it's just not income). Personally, if I were a company potentially not making thousands of dollars because of theft, I would take a serious look at a program like ImageGuard.

If the client is really interested in what you have to offer, they will install the plug-in.

Of course, then they could simply take it by capture, but how many of you have in-laws that are that technically sound. (Hardly any of mine are, and my wife has a huge family).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NRC

Everyone seems to miss the obvious just use this:

Type the following into the address bar
    view-source:http://mysite.com/page.html
    Tried a few different variations, none worked for me...do you include the view-source? Just thought Id try it...I know the others are easily bypassed...even the one's that try to disable left & right mouse buttons, most source in under 15 seconds on a bad day

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you read carefully you will find out that the view-source:http://www.website.com/ works for IE only. Maybe Netscape.

But yes, type it the exact way you see it and it works.

(****** or Deleted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: NRC

Originally posted by montroze

Tried a few different variations, none worked for me...do you include the view-source? Just thought Id try it...I know the others are easily bypassed...even the one's that try to disable left & right mouse buttons, most source in under 15 seconds on a bad day
    Type the following "exactly" into your browser address bar:

Code:
    view-source:http://www.sitepoint.com
    Very nifty trick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kewl

Nice Tip!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you wish to view the source of a particular frame...

If you wish to view the source of a particular frame... click the pane itself with your standard left button.

Then, when you go to view source, it will show you the source of that particular frame, instead of the frameset.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by javadevguy

If they chose not to install the plug-in, then my images are still protected since they cannot take it with "with the hit of a button", nor can they find out where it's located by viewing the source.
    That's right, they won't steal your images with the hit of a button, they will leave your web site with the click of a button.

Then again, if I wanted your images, I would let the Java plug-in download, and then take the images no matter what protection you have. Like I said with the click of a button.

P.S. I don't want your images, I just meant it hypothetically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything

A person can also send a Bot to a site and grab everything thier.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but bots can be blocked off with a couple of lines of code in your .htaccess file.