User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good newsletter hosts for humor sites

hi
    im new to this forum and im starting a humor site. Working on it as we speak.
    Anyways, i notice that alot of other humor sites have newsletters(mailing lists) they use to advertise and provide content to there subscribers.
    Im looking for good newsletter hosts out there, my budget is quite low right now. So the cheapest and good newsletter providers (hosts), that would be suitable for a humor site?

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the link in my sig. One of our applications is a newsletter.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Ravi,

Since you are just starting, I would'nt recommend you to use any outsourced Mailing List solution, since it would be paid. In the meanwhile, your site alongwith your mailing list grows, you can use a free mailing list script such as SubscribeMe lite (Could'nt remember what the URL is) or MyMail available from www.codingclick.com. Both of these scripts are free and work like a charm. If you are a PHP programmer, then you code even your own mailing list script with the help of the Tutorial at http://www.devshed.com (again, I don't remember the exact URL).

But once your mailing list grows upto 1000 subscribers or less, you might want to consider moving to an outsourced mailing list solution.

For Mailing List purpose, I consider Lyris to be the best. Though, if you would go out to buy this software, it would alone cost you around 7500 and a grand monthly fees (again, I am not sure about the pricing module).

So, your best bet would be to sign-up with a Mailing List Hosting Provider which allows you to use Lyris to manage your mailing list. For this, I find NetAtlantic (http://www.Netatlantic.com) {fortunately I remember its URL }

They are affordable (15$ for around 1000 subscribers) and most of all, provide excellent service.

Hope the information I provided is enough to get your started Wish you best of luck with your new site

Salam,
    -Omair
    36Host.com - $36/year web hosting [affiliates earn 30%]
    * Affordable Small Business Web Hosting since 2003! *
    "500mb space, 10gb bandwith, 50 pop/ftp accounts, php,
    mysql, pre-installed php scripts, 24/7 support & more...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Omair Haroon
    Hello Ravi,

Since you are just starting, I would'nt recommend you to use any outsourced Mailing List solution, since it would be paid. In the meanwhile, your site alongwith your mailing list grows, you can use a free mailing list script such as SubscribeMe lite (Could'nt remember what the URL is) or MyMail available from www.codingclick.com. Both of these scripts are free and work like a charm. If you are a PHP programmer, then you code even your own mailing list script with the help of the Tutorial at http://www.devshed.com (again, I don't remember the exact URL).

But once your mailing list grows upto 1000 subscribers or less, you might want to consider moving to an outsourced mailing list solution.

For Mailing List purpose, I consider Lyris to be the best. Though, if you would go out to buy this software, it would alone cost you around 7500 and a grand monthly fees (again, I am not sure about the pricing module).

So, your best bet would be to sign-up with a Mailing List Hosting Provider which allows you to use Lyris to manage your mailing list. For this, I find NetAtlantic (http://www.Netatlantic.com) {fortunately I remember its URL }

They are affordable (15$ for around 1000 subscribers) and most of all, provide excellent service.

Hope the information I provided is enough to get your started Wish you best of luck with your new site

Salam,
    -Omair
    I guess that makes us a bargain since we don't charge $15 per 1000 subscribers.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess advertising is not allowed in this Forum Category. I missed your first post anyways

Salam,
    -Omair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $15 per 1000 subscribers? That's not cheap unless you can get $15 CPM newsletter ads, and for a humour site - forget it.
    Paul Tomlinson
    SimRacingWorld Network - http://www.simracingworld.com
    SimRacingWorld - Advertise

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lil_red, please remove your posts
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NetAtlantic's rates average out to about 1$/1000 emails normally. It's only expensive at the low end because of the maintenance costs and stuff that larger newsletters absorb because of their size.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Netatlantic offers upto 2000 subscribers in its US$15 Plan. I would'nt call it expensive because that's what quality and reliable hosting costs these days, unlike those darn rackshack.net servers for only 99$

Salam,
    -Omair

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet is yourmailinglistprovider.com check them out. They are free and only have a piece of advertising on the page when someone signs up. No advertising is included in the newsletters you send out.

- Jason

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yourmailinglistprovider.com works well if you just get started with it, I mean you should start using it from scratch. But if you already have a list of your subscribers you are willing to import to YMLP, then they need your subscribers to click on a link to confirm their subscription. If you already had your subscribers do this before, many would get pissed off resulting in loss of more then 50% of the subscribers.

Although, in the beginning when I used to host my list with them, they were often down. Don't know about their uptime as of now.

Wish you best with your website and mailing list..

Salam,
    -Omair

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not use a list hosting service until you have more than, say, 25,000 subscribers.

Seriously - a list hosting solution for a list this small is not worth it. $25 per month for 10,000 subscribers? You're hardly going to cover costs. $15 per month for 1000 subscribers? Your money is disappearing in front of your eyes.

I use my own PHP script to send my newsletter on my own hosting account.

Make sure you use at least PHP and mySQL for good performance. There are readymade PHP/mySQL scripts for list hosting.

Just check with your host first and let them know you are going to host an opt-in mailing list on your account, just to see if they approve of it. Ask your host what would happen if somebody complained of spam. My host said it was fine as long as I could demonstrate it was opt-in.
    Last edited by mmj; Jul 9, 2002 at 08:59.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Thomas,

Yes, I partly agree with your post. Though, being a host myself I would never allow somebody to run a direct mailing list (I could'nt remember the proper term of the mailing list that does'nt requires the subscriber to confirm their registration). Since, this way many people enter fake addresses as well as other people addresses which results the host's IP address to be black listed and it costs lots of efforts and money to get it unbanned.

Anyways, It depends how your mailing list would require their subscribers to subscribe.

Salam,
    -Omair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by PaulT
    $15 per 1000 subscribers? That's not cheap unless you can get $15 CPM newsletter ads, and for a humour site - forget it.
    It's only $15 for 1,000 subscribers because of the costs hosting it.

When I had my 220,000 subscriber newsletter on there, I paid no more than $206 (I think).

I removed the inactive subscribers, and when it had 50,000 subs, I paid around $50.

If you can't make $1 CPM total from your list in one month, then I don't think it'd be worth having one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Omair Haroon
    being a host myself I would never allow somebody to run a direct mailing list (I could'nt remember the proper term of the mailing list that does'nt requires the subscriber to confirm their registration).
    Yes, that's why I said you should get the okay from the host first.

I use a very reputable host and have been told "As long as you show proof that you run an opt-in list you will be ok."

Actually, even if you use an external list host, your web host will still be occasionally wrongfully accused of spam.

BTW,
    Unconfirmed opt-in is commonly known as opt-in.
    Confirmed opt-in is commonly known as double opt-in.
    Last edited by mmj; Jul 9, 2002 at 09:29.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Thomas,

Your host required your list to be double opt-in or single opt-in?

Salam,
    -Omair

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either - as long as it is opt-in.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw