SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if anybody aware how to do web hosting
    or some info related to the same
    pls lem'me know.
    I DON'T NEED SITES WHICH R DOIN WEB HOSTING.
    INSTEAD I NEED how web hosting..

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First you need to pick an Operating System i.e. NT 4, NT 2000, a flavor of Unix or Linux, Mac OS, AIX and learn it inside out. Then you need to pick a webserver package: Apache, IIS, Netscape or one of the multitude of others available. And learn that inside out. Most hosts provide at least one email so your going to have to find an email server plus FTP and Telnet daemons to let people update their sites. Add to that things like PERL, PHP and/or ASP, MySQL, standard CGI scripts like formmail, counter, guestbook and the like that people have come to expect.

Finally once you have learned all your software and have a computer and high-speed line hooked up to accomodate hosting websites, you can host your first site. I recommend that you host your own site and work out all the kinks in the system and its interdependancies before you open it to others. This will include checking security and making sure you plug as many holes as you can. Once all that is done you can design your hosting plans and begin offering space to clients.

On the other hand you can go with an already established hosting company that already has all the features you think your customers will need. They will also be able to provide technical support to you about equipment, software and configuration issues. You then resale their space to your customers charging the price you set while they give you a discount. You would be responsible to your customers in supporting their website but not the equipment behind the website.

The other bonuses you get by becoming a resaler with a reputable firm are fault-tolerance and gauranteed up-time along with a trained technical support staff.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited February 14, 2000).]

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention that in order to do DNS resolution you need two servers. Unless you want someone else to do it for you.

Its is also not a bad idea to have two machines for backup purposes.