I am the webmaster of a high-traffic web site that serves 115 Apache requests and 600-700 MySQL queries per second. Right now, as I have analyzed costs, it would be cheaper for me to buy and own a server and colocate it, rather than rely on a hosting company.
As I have been browsing Dell, as a webmaster, I am lost in a wide array of hardware configuration options. Managing servers I am ok with, but hardware is another thing. My questions are as follows:
- For example, on the PowerEdge R710 model, what should "guide" me in making a decision on the processor? Ultimately, in condensed dummy terms, what's the END result of the difference between a 2.93 GHz E5570 Xeon vs a 2.26 GHz E5520 Xeon? I noticed that the 2.93 GHz costs about $1000 more. What?! Why?
- Does a larger CPU cache make a significant difference in performance? When will I see the performance differences of a 4M cache processor vs an 8M cache processor? Able to handle heavier loads at peak times?
- For processors, what exactly is "max mem" (i.e. 1066 MHz max mem)? What significant difference does it have on END result performance? When I talk about END result performance, I am talking about the hardware's impact on front-end processes that a LAMP server runs (i.e. Apache, MySQL). Faster? More efficient?
- RAM: Single ranked or dual ranked? Which is generally better for high-traffic web servers? Do recommendations between the two options change with different processors?
- RAM: UDIMM or RDIMM? Which is generally better for high-traffic web servers? Do recommendations between the two options change with different processors?
Thanks in advanced!