SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm in the process of converting one of my sites to use SSI to make it easier to add/change the basic look or navigation system when something needs to be done.

My problem now comes in testing the site. When I try to test it at home, I'm not getting any of the SSI code in the include files, so the view of the page is basically useless because that is a pretty crucial part of the test. Is there anyway to fool my home browsers (I have IE5 and NS4.7) into handling the SSI properly???

I could load it to a test section of the server, but that would be a bit of a pain because I would either A) need to keep two copies of any images, etc or B) need to keep changing the code, meaning I would need to test it AGAIN real thoroughly when I put it live or C) test it live. I like to test it at home before I load it to the server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    Dave Maxwell
    www.keystonecapitalchorus.org
    www.trademarkquartet.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could install a webserver on your home computer, and view your pages using that.

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just got Dreamweaver 3 and I'm pretty sure that the preview page option shows any SSI that is included in pages.

Can't be 100% sure though

Regards,

------------------
    Regards,
    Keith McL
    www.resources-webmasters.com

jbm
    SitePoint Community Guest
    DW 3 does show includes, but if you are trying to view your files by opening them directly through a browser (or win explorer) you need to have a personal web server installed, otherwise it won't work

jbm

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your host is apache based then install apache for windows ( www.apache.org ). If your host is NT based install Personal Web Server which is located on your Windows 98/NT 4.0 workstation CD or on the Internet Explorer CD you can get from Microsoft for 5 bucks shipping.

After your webserver is installed correctly you can access the pages on your machine by using 127.0.0.1 as the domain name. That address always points to the local machine. Apache servers default to .shtml for SSI and PWS defaults to .asp for SSI.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I knew about the MS Personal Web Server but didn't realize it was free. I'll be getting my IE CD out and installing that later today.

Thanks again!

------------------
    Dave Maxwell
    www.keystonecapitalchorus.org
    www.trademarkquartet.com